cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection capping @ 67.997 Mb/s - is this an unofficial limit agreed with BT?

FIXED
Demonix
Dabbler

Re: Connection capping @ 67.997 Mb/s - is this an unofficial limit agreed with BT?

Sammy,

Cheers for the test results, I can pull the same figures off my kit 😉😀
DLM just appears to have settled at the "magic figure" - which as long as it stays stable is ok, not fabulous but acceptable.
When conditions are optimal it may recalc and rise but won't hold my breath as it is a poor automated management system, ever eager to drop bands but not as swift to raise if conditions/stability improve.
BT line speed estimates overly conservative, plus line length to current cab is under half stated figure.
66mbs is ok though as friends in surrounding villages are lucky to get 3mbs on ADSL or 45mbs on Fttc.
Fttp across UK with implementation of required cabling/ network improvement between now 2025 and 2033 for a properly fast connection is an awfully long wait.
Shame BT is more interested in TV sports rights than investment in a crumbling infrastructure, being part of the same group doesn't help Plusnet.

Best regards

Demonix

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Connection capping @ 67.997 Mb/s - is this an unofficial limit agreed with BT?

@Demonix   I am always suspicious when I see sync speeds like 67.997 Mb/s that are very close to an exact whole number, but it isn't a devious BT conspiracy theory, it shows that the line has been banded by DLM setting a fixed speed, it appears @SammyM has missed this important information from the GEA test.

Profile Name - 0.128M-67M Downstream  ( it should be 0.128M-80M )

The test also shows that at some point the maximum sync speed of 79.9 Mb/s has been achieved which it will probably sync at if the banding is removed. Why it has happened is unclear, line drops or interference can cause DLM to band a line. I would suggest that PlusNet should request a DLM reset and in future look more closely at the GEA test results.Roll_eyes

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Demonix 

Here is a fresh GEA test result; 

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed79.9 Mbps

Upstream Speed20.0 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres291.3

Upstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Downstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Interference PatternNot Detected

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Sync speed and Profile name are back up where they should be. 

Hope this helps

Demonix
Dabbler

That test is great but not my connection!
If you can raise a DLM - remote reset by BTW that would be appreciated! (And yes they can do this without an engineer visit !)

Best regards

Nick
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Demonix

I'm SO sorry - that was not your BBEU results, you are correct. .

I've sent the request off to get the FTTC DLM Reset actioned

As an aside - you line is within its estimates, therefore our supplier may not progress this forward, however, we will know more in roughly 48 working hours. 

Thanks  

Demonix
Dabbler

Alistair,

Thanks for that!
If DLM wasn't such a shoddy mechanism wouldn't have to ask but it is so appreciate the request! And as they can perform the action remotely it's not exactly a big ask, unless it ends up with one of the many BTW engineers who aren't as technically adept as they should be and can't perform the required task or the old system was busy or down excuse - then a reset will actioned at a later date by one of the few proactive and skilled BT engineers ( they do exist but it can take a while to obtain their assistance!)
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Demonix

I have now escalated this for DLM reset, due to it being the weekend it may not be processed until 13/08/2018.

You will need to power your router off and back on for it to take effect or you will notice the service drop and reconnect when it has taken effect.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Demonix
Dabbler

No drama Lewis, appreciate the request escalation!

My router will mail me if there are any connection drops but will keep an eye out for BT doing their thing!
Demonix
Dabbler

Noise and crc errors showing on the BT end of my connection , your supplier needs to address issues with their own kit as that would appear to be the reason DLM is banding my BB connection, lines stats show noise / CRC errors on the BTW side (joys of cross talk / line noise on copper as usual ), Can't see that DLM reset has been performed yet as no connection drop or contact from BT - can you chase them up please? 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Demonix,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I've tested your line today and can confirm that the DLM reset has been performed and that your line profile is now 0.128M - 80M. The test isn't picking up any issues at the moment:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 66.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 557.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2018-08-01T12:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 66.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 69.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 834.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-08-14T11:20:01Z 2018-08-14T11:35:01Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

The speed estimate for your line is 49 - 71.3mbps so the current sync speed of 66.9mbps is in line with the estimates.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Demonix
Dabbler

Thanks for confirming DLM reset, interesting no connection drop and no change in speed, still noise and errors on BT end but not having a drastic effect apart from mild loss of performance.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, we're seeing a drop at 14:46 yesterday which I'd assume was the DLM reset taking effect. I've just tried to test the line re the noise but the test failed showing that a call is in progress. Let us know when the line is free and we'll check that again. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Demonix
Dabbler

Adam, suspect BT didn't actually action dlm reset until today. As of this afternoon circa 16:00 am now seeing 78.661mbs so all good until next time noise occurs on the cab end of my connection or supplier makes a change and DLM kicks in.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Make sure you let us know if there's an issue with noise again but hopefully not.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Demonix
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, will do!
Line still operating above estimate @ 79.2mbs down and 19.99 up - some errors / noise on BT end but below threshold that would activate DLM so far, fingers crossed it will remain that way.