Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by messages from anonymous@plesk-host06.plus.net

Tsonga
Grafter

Confused by messages from anonymous@plesk-host06.plus.net

Good morning!
I have received two of these from anonymous@plesk-host06.plus.net, one last night and one this morning:
"There has been a problem with the database!
This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues."
As far as I can see (but I haven't tried to post anything since last night), my forum is working fine. What does it mean?
Thanks for any help! Smiley
PS: my forum has been running for six months and it is the first time I receive something like that.
6 REPLIES 6
Tsonga
Grafter

Re: Confused by messages from anonymous@plesk-host06.plus.net

Wondering if anyone else has received those in the past, or whether they could be spam. The "anonymous" in the address is what makes me suspicious... Any ideas? Plusnet or anyone?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just speculating but it's possible that SMF had intermittent problems accessing the database due to a period with exceptionally high levels of core traffic across the Plusnet interfaces. This problem was mentioned in this service status issued yesterday.
The messages fit with that sort of thing, so probably nothing to worry about. Possibly that sender address is the default one created when the forum was set up? Does it appear somewhere in the admin panel?
David
David
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks for your answer David. Sounds very plausible. Plesk-host06.plus.net appears in the admin panel, but not that particular address; I assume it is just a default Plesk address...
I haven't received more messages and the forum is working fine, so I'll just assume that you're right. Slightly surprised to be the only one who's been affected though... But perhaps it's just that other people worry less... Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I haven't received any messages like these but I don't think I'd really feel troubled by the content and such a small number.
Hope that helps.
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: BlueRhizome
Wondering if anyone else has received those in the past, or whether they could be spam. The "anonymous" in the address is what makes me suspicious... Any ideas? Plusnet or anyone?

Send an email to support at support@pay-as-you-host.com. I'm sure Aaron or Kev will be able to shed some light on the situation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tsonga
Grafter

Ok, thanks Bob, will write to them if it happens again. I did not realise there was a support address for this. So that's good to know!