Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration of home WIFI with second line and router

brico
Dabbler

Configuration of home WIFI with second line and router

Hi all,

I have a complex house but using BT Wholehome discs (6 of them) I have managed to cover every part of it. I have one internet line on a 65mb service from Plusnet.

In order to increase bandwidth, I have ordered a second phone line into the house, with a second router and service.

Is there any way to configure the lines/routers so that all users can use the existing Wholehome configuration to access both lines.

I'm ideally looking for both increased bandwidth and better resilience if there is a failure on one of the lines.

Any experiences with using 2 lines into the same property?

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Configuration of home WIFI with second line and router

Hi,

you need to investigate load balancing.

brico
Dabbler

Yes I agree.
But at the moment it seems that I just split the load between 2 routers. But there must be a way to load balance and share the two lines, maybe needs more hardware?

My wholehome network is sound and provides access to all devices throughout the house. They don't care where the internet service comes from.
I will have two internet lines and two routers. How to connect the wholehome network to both of these? And balance the load? Double bandwidth but where is the load balancing done?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

There are devices which allow for your solution, hence my suggestion to do some research

You will need a router which allows for this.

Take a look at https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/routers/load-balancing-routers

Hope he doesn't mind but Super User @MisterW might give some help

Dan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yes, one of the draytek routers should do the load balancing. You should be able to connect one of the fttc lines directly to a vdsl input but you'll need a separate vdsl modem  to connect the 2nd fttc line to the wan input.

Not sure how the whole home wifi works though, if it connects to the routers lan as a wireless ap then it should just work, since there is only one router  and thus only one lan

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have a look at the Draytek router comparison chart, they don't come cheap though.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison 

brico
Dabbler

OK so I have purchased a load balancing router - a TP Link model TL-R470T+

The reviews on Amazon etc indicate that some people have been successful in combining the 2 lines to work with the router.

Is there anyone in this community that has succeeded - and can advise?

Many thanks!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Whilst the R470T does appear to support load balancing, it is just a router. You will need a VDSL modem for each FTTC line in front of the r470T. In addition the R470 is not very future proof , it only has 100Mbit ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@brico I may be too late to this but, for example, a Draytek 2860 (available second hand for a few 10's of pounds) will do what you want.

As you have WiFi coverage you just need a version without WiFi and follow Draytek's load balancing instructions.

Ir works fine, I've done something similar and the bandwidths add.

I am the satisfied customer....