Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer - and broadband - running slow

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Computer - and broadband - running slow

Hi,

My old Dell Dimension has always run well, it's almost as old as me, has 4 megs of ram and a 3Mhz duo core cpu with XP Pro and all the updates.  Lately however I get the impression that it has started running slower.  Programmes appear to take longer to run and my fibre broadband is not as snappy as it used to be.  The BT cabinet is only a few of hundred yards away and I'm on a 40/2 package.

Before this state of affairs, according to the BTW test, my fibre gave me ~37.5 down and ~1.5 up with a a latency of ~35. Now it gives ~30 down, 1.5 up and shows a latency of ~150.

I appreciate that the speed (from a possible 40 down) is more than what lots of others on here get, I'm concerned that it has reduced by ~20%.  Someone may well come back and say the latency is not too bad either - it's just the fact that it has recently deteriorated considerably that concerns me

The supportaltest (by OOkla) which TalkTalk uses and which I would ocasionally use, will just not run at all.  It used to run without any problems and the results coincided quite well with the BT tester.

The Plusnet speed test (again by OOkla) again won't run (it used to...) it merely gives a 'latency test error'

When I had not too dissmilar problems some months ago, after a lot of faffing about I found that my anti-virus was causing the problem.  I junked it and installed another and things have been ok - up to now.  This time I can't see what is causing the problem.

What I've done so far...

Switched the modem and router off, mid morning for ~20 minutes which someone told me some time ago could help.  I've uninstalled both my anti-virus (Panda free) and my MalwareBytes with no effect.  Gone through the machine uninstalling everything I don't need, used CCleaner & Revo to clean junk files, after which I've defragged.  Incidentally Ican't restore to a previously known good point as I regularly delete restore points, only keeping the last couple.  The pc makes a back-up of everything on the main C drive,  to another hard drive, the D drive.  This happens once every day so restore points are really of secondary importance - though in this case could have helped!

I've also run the MS system file checker - twice - I got the impression my download speed was actually slower afterwards but it must have been a co-incidence...

Basically everything appears to generally run slow.  I don't 'think' I've got any nasties on the machine, Panda and Malawarebytes run automatically every day and tell me all is good.  I've looked under system in the event viewer and I can't see anything suspicious.

I have downloaded and installed a couple of MS updates recently but I seem to remember they might have been security related - I though they would have finished years ago but ocasionally one appears...  Incidentally I get my fibre via ethernet so I uninstalled the ethernet connection yesterday and reinstalled the driver with no change...

After playing around for a few days I'm running out of ideas, any XP guru on here I wonder - or have they all died off...

I'm loth to chanage this old pc as it usually works very well - but it really is beginning to bug me now...

John

8 REPLIES 8
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Computer - and broadband - running slow

Hi PNnewbie,

Thank you for contacting us via the community forums. I am sorry to hear about the issues that you are currently facing at the moment.

For assistance with your device I will not be able to offer support but for your broadband service I can. I have run some checks on your connection and everything is running at a stable rate with speed. Now depending on how many devices are connected to your router you will find a drop especially if connected by wifi. I would recommend just running through these quick checks from this link as they can help you just check all your connection https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'd advise against continuing to use Windows XP on a computer used to browse the Internet, I'd be surprised if you could even find an up to date web browser that works on XP.

I hope the recent Microsoft updates were genuine.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding up to date browser - Firefox still supports it with the latest version

In my opinion, providing you have a good internet security package and aren't really silly there is no serious extra risk running XP

PNnewbie
Rising Star

BenB - thanks for your input.  I've done the usual checks and all seems fine.  I did read somewhere that there was a big broadband outage a few days ago and I initially assumed this was the problem so I left it for a while but presumably that's not the case.  SO, it's probably a combined pc/broadband problem - which at the moment is taxing my patience !!!

ejs - thanks for your input also.  I've no real concern about my continued use of XP Pro + SP3.  I think about 20% of the world's computer users still run it - including some very big corporate users.  Lots of people assume that MS support finished a while back but that was only for individual users.  Paid for support was still available as I understand up to a very short while ago - it may even be still available. I use Firefox 47 and AdBlock Plus which work perfectly.   As I think I mentioned in my orginal posting I use MalwareBytes and Panda anti-virus, both of which are configured to do automatic scans every 24 hours.  I also use the Plusnet Firewall, set to high. 

In an attempt to try and move forward a bit I must admit I did try Zorin a year or two ago but found it very dated and clunky and quickly came back to XP...

oldjim - thanks to you also...

This afternoon I downloaded and installed Adaware and Spybot and ran scans - they both tell me my system is clean.  I'll uninstall them later.  I've also ran BitDefender which again says all's well.  I also ran the MS disc checking utility.

I'd prefer not doing a clean re-install as it takes too much time..., I may try a repair - if I can remember how!

Thanks again for your inputs.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

ejs - >>> I hope the recent Microsoft updates were genuine. <<<

Me too!  They looked pukka, I could always uninstall them  -  if I could find them...

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Can you get your IP Profile from running the BT Speedtester then clicking "further diagnostics" after the first test has finished. If that's still about 38 and a bit, then that should indicate there's no problem with your broadband, at least the phone line between you and the FTTC cabinet.

Also your Plusnet current line speed, which should be about the same as the BT IP Profile.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

From BT Wholesale Speed Tester @ 17:18:-

Download speed - 31.03

Upload speed - 1.00

Ping latency - 144

IP Profile for your line is - 38.71

Current line speed: 37 Mb

I'm relatively close to the cabinet and I've always had ~37.5 down and ~1.5 up with a ping latency of ~35

Thanks ejs

HughPH
Grafter

You've got 31Mbps. I have 22Mbps and we watch videos in HD over Amazon, Netflix, etc without any problems.

Slowness is in your PC, I'm afraid. If you're not averse to using a laptop, I'd recommend popping to PC World and spending no more than £350 - if you've got it to spare. If you're lucky, you might find one with a VGA output that you can connect your old monitor to. If your Dimension has a USB keyboard and mouse (rectangular plugs) then you'll be able to use those too.

The way you describe your PC leads me to believe you don't have a great deal of experience with them (my first Dell Dimension had 4MB RAM and a 25MHz processor, but it would never have run Windows XP!) so you're probably better off replacing it with a modern PC that will be delivered security vulnerability patches automatically.