cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complicated Playstation Ports Issue (not the normal port forwarding question!)

FishyDelishy
Dabbler

Complicated Playstation Ports Issue (not the normal port forwarding question!)

I have had Plusnet Fibre Unlimited for many years now and have never had a problem.  A year or two ago I upgraded to a Draytek Vigor 2860 router which has been faultless.  My router is configured to provide my PS4 with a reserved IP and that IP address is setup as the DMZ device.  Additionally I have CCTV cameras and a NAS unit which use various ports I have configured through the Open Ports function.

Everything worked in harmony for ages.

However, after not playing my PS for a while, I bought Black Ops 4 and I'm now finding that in game my PS4 is reporting the NAT type as Moderate not Open.  I checked COD WW2 and it also reports moderate when it definitely used to be open.

I have lots of problems joining chat parties now when before it was perfect.

I have tried doing a full factory reset on my Draytek and setup the PS4 as the DMZ device, no other rules and no other devices connected and it still doesn't work.

I took my PS4 to work, configured the work firewall and the PS4 is Open!

So, it implies my router is OK (clean reset) and my PS4 is OK.  

Is there anyway that Plusnet is causing the problem with my ports?  I have the SafeSurf and Firewall turned off.

I'm at my wits end with this.  I work in IT and configure physical and virtual firewalls as part of my job so I'm not exactly a novice!

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Complicated Playstation Ports Issue (not the normal port forwarding question!)

have you tried putting your Playstation in the routers DMZ and seeing if it makes any difference?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Complicated Playstation Ports Issue (not the normal port forwarding question!)

@FishyDelishy wrote:
I work in IT and configure physical and virtual firewalls as part of my job so I'm not exactly a novice!

That to me begs the question as to why you're putting your PS4 in DMZ when it will work perfectly well outside of it. I use a DrayTek 2925 and have multiple PS4 working without using a DMZ.

FishyDelishy
Dabbler

The first paragraph of my post said I have my PS4 as my DMZ device!

Playstations will not work properly without either forwarding TCP ports 3478-3480 and UDP ports 3479-3480 (in addition, Call of Duty games need UDP 3074) or setting the PS4 as a DMZ device.

For simplicity I have always configured open ports for my NAS then placed my PS4 as the DMZ device.

Draytek routers handle ports in priority.  NAT Redirection comes first (I have no rules setup), then Open Ports (I have ports open for my NAS but none that the Playstation uses) then DMZ.

So by placing my PS4 as the DMZ device it will have free run of any ports that are not already forwarded to my NAS unit.

However, it isn't working!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh! OK.