cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete novice help please

david_cholsey

Complete novice help please

can some kind soul please help me get started in this -
all I want to do is share one table ( and later several tables) so that several instances of MS Access can share information.
is it easily possible ( at present I'm using VPN to my own pc).  I don't know any terminology (even PHP).
Do I need to learn a huge amount to get started in this way or is there an easy start
thanks
david
2 REPLIES 2
jac2
Dabbler

Re: Complete novice help please

Hi, share it with whome?
People on the internet / anyone on the internet?
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Complete novice help please

I think you will be out of luck with PN!
There are four common ways to share Access data remotely:
1. Split the Access application into front-end and back-end components,  and run the backend component (still part of Access) on an ISP's server. Dedicated servers apart, I don't know of any ISP who offers this, although the approach is common on LANs and within organisations   
2. Find an ISP which offers Microsoft Sharepoint Services or Sharepoint Server, then 'publish' the database tables there. Performance will be somewhat ' lacking'!
3. Find an ISP offering a Microsoft SQLServer service and migrate the back-end there. PN do not offer an SQLServer service.
4. Use ODBC to connect the front-end of Access to MySQL. PN offer a tried-and-tested MySQL service on both the existing CGI servers and on PAYH. ODBC works on CGI but is currently locked out for security reasons on PAYH. Unfortunately, the CGI service is being phased out... 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017