cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on web site

OshB5
Grafter

Comments on web site

Hello all I have just set up a first web site and used X5 which was the easy way even though i had to use another ftp prog to get it on to the web space, Anyway i would like the viwers of the photos be able to leave comments. Whats the best way for me to do this. I have been able to enter some html code and know how to do his but cannot find any html scripts that will help me do what i want. I have got CGI activated and now i have just activated MySQL (dont ask me why apart from i have been reading and it seam that mysql has somthing to do with php and there seams to be a lot of stuff that will do what im looking for in php. now that is as far as i have got, because i think my brain was about to explode at that point LOL 🐵 Any any help would be much appeciated. Regards Andy P.S. if you need the site adddress its www.0acs0.co.uk
14 REPLIES 14
pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: Comments on web site

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the forums, and i Love the site - it looks like a whole load of fun!
For a first attempt you have done 1000 times BETTER than i could ever dream of and rightly so you should be chuffed to bits
Pete
samuria
Grafter

The main banner the resolution is all wrong and the text looks very stretched.
The text on the button is blurred and to big the font is not very clear.
You dont need the pop outs as you only have one item
Spider
Grafter

I am currently viewing the site with Firefox 2.0.0.9 and as samuria says the banner is as been enlarged too much and so as created a blurred pixel effect.
The font on the buttons is not clear either and the two line text extends over the top and bottom of the button. I take it that the flyouts on some of the buttons is because you will be adding more choices later on.
Loved the photo's by the way and the slide show part work fine.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Thanks for the comments on the website I had seen the site and already decided o change the buttons But decided to leave until ater this weekend when i had the next lot of photos to put on.
However Its my fault with what and how i phraised what i put in the question. What i rearly needed   was some way to add a comment  box/script to my site itself So that the viewers that visited the site could actually leave comments on the site whilst there.
klyne
Grafter

What i rearly needed  was some way to add a comment  box/script to my site itself So that the viewers that visited the site could actually leave comments on the site whilst there.

Why not have a guestbook? You can get these free from the like of Bravenet and I am sure there must be others.
David
pcoventry76
Grafter

Alot of hosts have very good guestbooks ready to install on the server. usually under fantastico
it's a very good suggestion.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion about a guest book i will have a look intoit and see how i can fit it in.
What i would also like in the next phase of the site is to enable people who are viewing the site and have phoos of the same event to be able to upload them for others to see who are view the site as well as mine but in a seperate area. Can anyone help with this.
Regards Andy
ffupi
Grafter

If you want visitor to leave comments - I think the only way is to use a dynamic album e.g. Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php). Needs installing on ccgi and MySQL activated.
pcoventry76
Grafter

yes - it's on fantastico so any linux host will have it ready to install if your not confident at installing stuff from scratch
If you want some help holler . and yes you will need to install a sql dataase prior to install of this.
I have plenty of sever space if you want me to set on eup and link it to you just say the word.
Pete
netreg
Grafter

If you want a guestbook that not only is free but has many configuration elements, then i can recommend Active Scripts guestbook. 
http://www.active-scripts.net/
I am currently testing it on my PN cgi site and it works fantastically Cheesy
Easy to install and configure for budding amateur web designers such as myself.  Grin
_lecro_
Grafter

Nice work for a first site Wink
This was my first http://mudfest.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
I like to think ive come a long way since then but you might find it interesting  Cool
decomplexity
Rising Star

If you want visitors to leave comments for the site, your need a guest-book.
But if you want people to leave comments about individual photos and to be able to rate them (e.g. 1 star through 5 stars; with the system able to highlight the 'best' ones), and with you able to control who can upload photos (and the maximum size of photo) - and if you want a fairly robust user registration system to prevent anonymous users uploading; if you don't have user registration and do allow uploading, your site will be trashed and/or covered in adverts for 'member enhancers' and fake Rolexes) then you need a Gallery system like Coppermine, or Gallery, . Try, for example, Googling on 'Gallery' and 'PHP'.
In addition, if you want to set up any type of forum (i.e. a guestbook with subject headings and with replies to posts  -  roughly), then you need a forum package like phpBB2 which integrates with your chosen gallery system (in the sense that there is one user registration system for both) or a full-blown content managment system like Joomla which has forum and gallery addons.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Tahanks for the reply I have just had a look at Joomla  and it looks a nice peice of sofware. I have been told Coppermine out of the couple i did find so am going to try this one first as its looks a lot less fussy to install. I Have my main site which is the 0acs0 one but a couple of other that i can do testing with as every time i make any changes to my main site it takes ages to reupload it as i am using Cute fpt pro and i cannot seam to get it just to upload the files that have been updated. Anyway Im off to try coppermine now on one of the other sites ;D. Regs Andy
ffupi
Grafter

Joomla install guide, see here. There is a link to the PlusNet install guide to Mambo, from which Joomla forked off. (The new Joomla version seems to be: Joomla_1.0.13-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz, so take that).
Coppermine, PlusNet install guide.   
Gallery, PlusNet install guide.