cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing entry point of phone line into house

FIXED
Shek

Changing entry point of phone line into house

Currently my phone line enters the house via the wooden front door frame. I'm replacing the door & want the line to come in via the wall of the porch instead. Do I contact Outreach directly or should it be done via Plusnet?
5 REPLIES 5
Shek

Re: Changing entry point of phone line into house

*Openreach* not Outreach 😏
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Shek 

You have to arrange it through Plusnet. I believe that the standard charge is £165.

Alternatively, although against the rules you might find a local (generally ex BT/Openreach) technician who will do it cheaper. Look through your local directory.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

What we can arrange an engineer to do is move the master telephone socket for £160 but if you're wanting the point where the phone line coming into your house changing, then you'll need to contact Openreach from Here. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Gandalf 

I stand corrected. My immediate thought is whether it would be cheaper to have a second line fitted for circa £50 then transfer the current service after a few weeks to the new line then cancel the first? Or is that just me being devious?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Potentially but with a second line installation, an engineer may not be able to route the line where they'd want it with the time they'll have available to complete the task, because this type of job is designed to just provide a service.

Not saying though that won't work as they may get an engineer who's got the time and happy to do it going the extra mile, but there's no way of us requesting this as technically it is the wrong type of job for the work needed. 

Contacting Openreach directly ^ is the best way to handle this as they'll know upfront what work needs to be done, they'll be able to price it up and make sure an engineer has enough time.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet