Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Address

Jekyll
Grafter

Changing Address

Hello,
I hope I can ask this here as I just cannot get a reply from the support boards of the people I am with
Its a general question really, in that would anyone know how I can change the address so that it matches my Forum name?
At present it gives conflicting descriptions..........I hope someone may know, I just have a feeling that I may have to find a new Forum, and I really want to avoid this if possible.
Hope someone may have the answer
Jekyll  Wink
10 REPLIES 10
paulby
Grafter

Re: Changing Address

Not sure what you mean!!! Change what address?
Could you post up an example of what you mean?
Jekyll
Grafter

Sorry, but I mean the address bar on Internet Explorer
Currently my forums address is http://aplacetohide.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?
and I have renamed my site to something other than aplacetohide
and as the two don't match it gives the wrong impression, I just can't figure out how to change the "aplacetohide" bit to the name of the actual forum
I hope that has explained it better, sorry about that but I posted this in a rush and should have taken more time
Jekyll  Smiley
paulby
Grafter

I take it you're using hosting from this lot.
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but, from a quick look at their site, could you not simply set up another free site and transfer everything across?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Looks like if you wanted solaris.s4.bizhat.com for example you would have to set up another account.
Why not buy a cheap domain if available and host it there.
Pick a name and put it in here to see if it's available.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Jekyll
Grafter

Yes thats them, but by the looks of it they don't seem to be very forthcoming towards answering peoples problems.
As for transferring I have no idea how I would do that........it may be simple but I struggle to figure things out and making up boards is about as far as it gets for me.
If I could find a fresh free forum to setup that has good support I might think about starting over but thats a very last resort thing.
Only two of us there, as one posted only a few times and then left......don't blame them really as its hardly the height of excitement!! but it was only ever meant for me to make a few decent friends within my own place on the web as I don't really have any in the real world for various reasons (I can hear the violins playing  Grin
I guess I will just have to look around for a better one then

Thanks anyway Paul03

Strat
I hear what your saying but again for various reasons I cannot buy anything be it cheap or not as its not my money I would be spending......I appreciate the idea anyway, so thanks  Smiley

Jekyll  Smiley
Jekyll
Grafter

Hello PJ
Whilst what you say sounds great, I have to be honest and say I have not got a clue what CCGI and SMF means let alone how to do all that..........yes I am totally dumb  Embarrassed
I have just downloaded something called phpBB-3.0.0 but like I say I do these things but have no idea where I am going with it
I'd like to make use of my Plusnet features but when it comes to ever doing anything, despite my following instructions to the letter, blasted XP or Vista just throws up errors at me........can't do this or can't do that etc, and I am so frustrated as most other people can do this all blindfold.
Jekyll  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I like honest people, and on here they generally get a lot of help, me Ive been using computors for a long long time but I am still learning 
ps I know nothing about CCGI so dont ask me Tongue
Jekyll
Grafter

Well honesty is the best policie as the saying goes  Smiley

Jekyll  Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Couldn't one of the members help Jekyll to set up the SMF Forum on his CGI space for him, PJ couldn't you help him?  Wink
Jekyll
Grafter

Well I'd sure appreciate any help people can give me, and thank you Midnight Caller for asking for me........I'm not a confident person so tend to just step down as I've had letdowns all my life, and when you've had this happen for years on end it does rather more than just dent your confidence.
I have since been to my Members area and found the CGI bit and an Activate button, now I have'nt pressed it yet as I really don't see the point until I know how to start doing things with it.........and knowing me, this might take awhile Roll_eyes Grin
Jekyll  Wink