cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change from ADSL to Ethernet cable connection

futurelucas4502

Change from ADSL to Ethernet cable connection

Hi there,

I'm looking at changing to a 3rd party router setup however, most if not all solutions I'm considering only have an RJ45 WAN connection port, however, my home currently uses an ADSL connection meaning, if I understand correctly, I currently wouldn't be able to use any of these systems.

I am therefore wondering if it would be possible to change the Openreach master socket ADSL port to an Ethernet WAN port in my house and how much something like this would cost?

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Change from ADSL to Ethernet cable connection

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You always need a modem, changing the cable won't make a router just work.
So if you want a different router you'll either need to get one with a built in modem or a separate modem.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @futurelucas4502 welcome to the forum.

What you are looking for is a combined device which has both a Modem/Router as one unit. Usually described as ADSL/VDSL Router, TP-Link and ASUS make them, other manufactures are available.

The device you are looking at would require a standalone modem

HTH.

futurelucas4502

Hi there,

I see that makes sense I've just had a look around but most of the results I get for dsl modems are just routers where should I be looking for something like a stand-alone modem?

Or is it possible to put my current router into a modem only mode? and if I do so would my internet take a performance hit?

I believe my current router is the Hub One

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@futurelucas4502  The Plusnet Hub1 is a combined modem/router and connects to the telephone socket. I do not quite understand what your problem actually is.  A router in the strict sense of the term does not have built in modem so will have an ethernet WAN socket to connect to a stand alone modem. It is not possible to configure the Plusnet Hub 1 to operate in modem only mode. I use a Huawei HG612 3B modem on my FTTC connection. It can be used for ADSL but requires to be unlocked by loading different firmware and changing the configuration. This could be used with any 3rd party router via an ethernet connection. There are very few new stand alone ADSL modems available now, it is easier to get second hand items from auction sites.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@futurelucas4502 

Are you close to renewing your contract with plusnet?

If so you can request a Hub Two for £6.99 p & p which can be configured as a modem

Is there not a VDSL version of the router you're looking at?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@futurelucas4502 wrote:

I'm looking at changing to a 3rd party router setup however...

That seems to describe a solution not a problem.  This ought not be a discussion about cable type, but the problem you are trying to fix.

The thing oft referred to as a "router" is actually a complex box of network technology which in other settings might be done by several discrete network components.  Probably not a complete set of services, but here are the ones which come to mind provided by the Plusnet "router"...

• Modem (ADSL / VDSL)
  • Firewall
  • DNS server
  • DHCP server
  • NAT server
  • WiFi Access point
  • ... oh must not forget the router service!

So when you say you want to change to a third party "router" knowing what it is that you seek to do and why will help others to offer best advice.  Do you want to replace the Plusnet "router" with one device which does the same, or for whatever reason do you want to separate the modem functions from everything else?  Note that some "routers" which do not contain modems do not provide all of the other services which you will need.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.