Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceasing PlusNet Broadband and Line Rental but Port Existing Landline Number

FIXED
jdmanonamission

Ceasing PlusNet Broadband and Line Rental but Port Existing Landline Number

Hi all!

An imminent house move is forcing us to cease our long term subscription with plusnet, as we are (for an unknown period of time) moving back with family who already have a landline and broadband in the property, plus they live some distance from us.

I haven't yet contacted plusnet to cease our contract as we dont yet have a completion date for our sale. I use my landline number for business purposes and have researched ways of keeping this, with the intention of porting it over to the below company:

https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk/blog/item/keep-phone-number-landline-porting

Can anyone help with my best way of handling this situation to make sure I can port the landline number over to the above company when the time is right whilst also ceasing my contract for the line rental and broadband? Who should I instruct first? I know I am out of any tie in period with plusnet ages ago.

Thank you

James

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Ceasing PlusNet Broadband and Line Rental but Port Existing Landline Number

Fix

Hi @jdmanonamission a voip provider such as virtuallandline can only port an 'active' number so you should not cancel your service with PlusNet. When you are ready you should request that virtuallandline to port the number. This will automatically request a cease of the PlusNet landline and the associated broadband. They (PN) should at that point send you a 'sorry you are leaving'  and ask you to confirm the number port and broadband cease.

I'm sure one of the PN help staff will be along shortly to advise formally.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi James.

Sorry to hear you're having to leave us.

@MisterW has it spot on.

I'd recommend leaving the cancellation of your broadband/phone service to the VoIP provider to handle as the export of your telephone number will automatically cease your phone service and therefore your broadband too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jdmanonamission

Thank you MisterW and Gandalf for teh swift replies!

Having not done this before I didnt know which to do first but that all makes sense!

Have no fear Gandalf - if I am treated well on my exit, I shall without doubt be back to PlusNet as soon as I can!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jdmanonamission you're welcome

Having not done this before I didnt know which to do first but that all makes sense

I actually have done it before, I ported the office numbers from BT to a voip system and so know how it's supposed to (and does!) work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@jdmanonamission wrote:

Thank you MisterW and Gandalf for teh swift replies!

Having not done this before I didnt know which to do first but that all makes sense!

Have no fear Gandalf - if I am treated well on my exit, I shall without doubt be back to PlusNet as soon as I can!!

No problem at all.

It's likely you're going on a Quest, so remember:

Mithrandir.jpg

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet