cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant log in to upload to webspace

greyhound

Cant log in to upload to webspace

I've been trying over the last two months to upload a few bits to my Plus Net webspace but the log in always fails.  I can log in to the members area without a problem.  My neighbour has been helping me and she's able to upload to her own Plus Net webspace okay.
56 REPLIES 56
samuria
Grafter

Re: Cant log in to upload to webspace

What address are you using to login to and how are you trying to do that ie what ftp program?
What error do you get using the login name as the portal?
JanTheNan

Hello Samurai,
Can I jump in please, Greyhound is a little confused.  I am Greyhounds neighbour also with Plus Net.
We checked on the website settings and they are exactly as I log in but of course with her user name and password.
The settings used as follows are      ftp.plus.net
                                                          htdocs
                                                          username
                                                          password   
I used the exact same settings as my own account with Greyhounds specific log in information.
I've tried Dreamweaver (which I use for my own uploading) and SmartFTP to upload.
With Dreamweaver this is the message that comes back:
An FTP error occured - cannot make connection to host.  Your login or password is incorrect.  Please check your connection settings.
By login name as the portal do you mean if Greyhounds Plus Net web address is typed?  If so it says nothing has as yet been uploaded to this webpage (or words to that effect).
I'm rubbish at trying to explain, sorry.
Thank you for your time.

Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
Your Portal Login information is what you use to login to on www.plus.net.
For example -
Username: david01
Password: cheese
The login for FTP will be exactly the same as what ever it may be for both of you.
Hope that helps.
Jim,
JanTheNan

Hello Jim,
Yes that's what Greyhound and I have been doing, no trouble logging in to the member centre but it's another matter trying to log in to upload stuff to cyberspace, it just doesn't want to know.
Thank You.
ffupi
Grafter

Did you try it in the InternetExplorer just to put into the address bar ftp://ftp.plus.net .
Try the alternative host: ftp2.plus.net
Try the ftp-program with active transfer switched on (not passive).
Tutorials:
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/31
http://portal.plus.net/support/webspace/uploading_files.shtml
Did you browse to your webspace, PlusNet puts a standard file there, can you see that at http://www.yourplusnetusername.plus.com ? If it is not there, then your webspace is not there.
In case all fails, I would suggest to raise a ticket with PlusNet Customer Services.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've given your webspace a kick from here, can you leave it around an hour and then try logging in to it again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Just tested from here and it seems to be working fine now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JanTheNan

Thank You Chris, Greyhound and I have loaded a practice page just to see if the connection worked and it did.
Many thanks to all who helped.
greyhound

Thank you Chris for your help, and to everybody who gave me advice. I am now able to make my website.
Greyhound.
thegroove
Dabbler

I also have the problem listed above...wondering if I could also get a kick lol.
Will be phoning CSD when I get home and see if they can help me, need to get some pages loaded ASAP.
Thanks.
Chris
Legend

I'll have a look and see if I can find an obvious problem.
Chris
Legend

Can't find anything obviously wrong and it let me log in from here. I've given things a nudge anyhow so if you could try logging in again and let me know if it's worked?
thegroove
Dabbler

Thanks I'll give it a go in a couple of hours when I get home.
jeremyo
Dabbler

I wonder if you PlusNet folks could give my account (ottevanger) a kick too? no joy logging in (and I'm certain the settings are right, I do this all day at work!) I just get a 530 error, but needless to say the same settings work for logging into broadband and the PlusNet site.
Many thanks in advance