cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant access hosted website

cordsupport

Cant access hosted website

Hi,
My domain name is hosted by plusnet. I wished to protect the contents so I could upload a website I am developing so created  .htaccess and .htpasswd files which were uploaded to htdocs. Can not now browse to the site - comes up with a 404 error. Have deleted the .htaccess and .htpasswd files but still cant access from a browser. Its almost as if the DNS entry has disappeared. Antbody got any ideas this is rapidly driving me mad.
Harry
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Cant access hosted website

Does /htdocs contain an index.htm file? Have you checked whether DNS has lost its domain entry? Can you browse to the site using its account username address?
David
cordsupport

spraxyt,
Yes I can browse to the location using the username.isp but attempts to get there using the domain name fail miserably. That is why I suspect the DNS entry is lost. How do I check this?
prichardson
Grafter

Checks show the last time any changes were made to your domain was in 2007.
Your domain is pointing to a directory called index1, which doesn't exist.
Your websites files should be uploaded to /htdocs/index1/
I have no indication on if this directory exited previously, but as no changes have been made to your domain settings and you report it was working, I can only assume the index1 directory has been deleted.
cordsupport

Phil
Thanks can now access by using the domain name. Dont understand though what has changed as FileZilla never showed index1 before (less than a few hours ago) but now does so. Any  idea how the change has come about?