Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view my own website on plusnet

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Cannot view my own website on plusnet

Both links work perfectly on my (current) Virgin connection.

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Still inaccessible here

nxdomain.png

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@cailean wrote:

Hi Penny, The WIX website has been pulished to this URL www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk since 23rd July . Whilst it seems to be reachable by most smartphone owners using mobile data to access the internet, my website is inaccessible on any device which is connected to the internet through some ISPs including my own ISP which is Plusnet. 

@cailean  If the access-issue isn't specific to PlusNet, there doesn't seem much point in me escalating it, tbh.

As per what @dvorak said

@dvorak wrote:
The issue isn’t Plusnet solely- as has been stated there are issues with the lookup for google and opendns as well as another isp zen.
You need to talk to wix at this point

... it does look like you need to get wix to help sort this.  I don't know much about DNS propagation, only that usually it takes a maximum of 48 hours iirc (which is obviously well past) so (logically) something in the set-ups at wix (or *your* set-ups at wix - I don't mean your site pages but more the place where you assign www etc. on the settings) needs attention, probably.

I looked up (on 123-reg, as I don't know if there's related info on PN) what it said about changing Advanced Domain Settings - A, MX, CNAME, TXT, SRV (dim recall that this related to DNS settings) and found this page https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/domains/domain-name-server-dns-management-guide/ which says "Domain Name Server (DNS) Management Guide - This article will explain about Domain Name Servers and what they do. In this Domain Name Server (DNS) Management article you will find all the information you need to understand what A records, CNAME, MX records and domain nameservers are and how to set them up."

Might be useful reading before you talk to Wix, perhaps.

Somebody here more versed in techno-speak might be able to explain more clearly what's required, if wix doesn't help resolve this.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

so the stonyfieldcottage.co.uk A Name record points to 23.236.62.147 use that and it takes you to a wix holding/error page.
C name for www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk points to www81.wixdns.net which takes you to an unconnected site.

If you look at this the major DNS independent providers at https://www.nslookup.io/dns-records/www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk#cloudflare non of them return records.

So really think you have an issue with WIX

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
cailean
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fix

I CONTACTED WIX AGAIN-   Their back-office team told me that to rectify the problem I should ask the domain registrar (123REG) to remove the DNSSEC setting. I wrote back to 123REG via their supporft ticket system. They confirmed the removal of the DNSSEC setting by email this morning and, hey presto, my website www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk can now be accessed on all my devices through by ISP plusnet..... so Happy Days! .............I think.  Thank you to all those who contributed to this thread and who tried to assist .😀

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@cailean 

Thanks for the update Smiley   Interesting to know what solved it.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Working fine now on Zen Smiley
mikeb
Rising Star

So, basically, all those ISPs and DNS service providers who fully support DNS security extensions, DNSSEC, experienced no problems whatsoever and their customers could access the site without difficulties.  However, all the new(ish) security measures have to be turned off in order for those who have chosen to not support the latest developments to continue plodding along in the Ye Olde ways Wink

Seems more than a bit kinda like that old chestnut "you must turn off your anti-virus and/or firewall in order to use this software or access this site" and all that Tongue Nice.

Good to see everything apparently working now though Smiley I can see almost a full house of 'ticks' when checking the DNS response from servers around the world rather than around half of them not providing a sensible response at all as was the case before.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Not quite correct - OpenDNS supports DNSSEC and has done for a year or so now.
Google also supports DNSSEC.

Maybe it's that 123REG is not trust worthy or is set up incorrectly Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mikeb
Rising Star

" Maybe it's that 123REG is not trust worthy or is set up incorrectly "

Oooooo, you're so naughty ... but quite possibly so right 😆

But then again, there were clearly places where everything apparently worked just fine so something a bit odd  somewhere rather than a trust issue, settings fundamentally wrong or suchlike.  Do PN servers support DNSSEC ?

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue