Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view my own website on plusnet

FIXED
cailean
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Cannot view my own website on plusnet

I am a silver-haired novice who is tearing his hair out with a problem that nobody I have spoken to seems able to resolve. I recently transferrred an expired domain name with the previous owner's agreement (using Nominet) from one.com to 123REG. That cost £10 +VAT. I then renewed the domain name for one year paying the annual renewal fee to 123REG. I had built a website with WIX which WIX host. Next I then changed the nameservers to WIX nameservers and received an email to say that had been successful and that my published website would go live on the internet within 48 hours. Days passed and I could not reach my website on either my desktop PC running Windows 10, my Samsung android tablet or my Lenovo smartphone. I spoke to 123REG and WIX - and both told me that my website was live and working with no issues! I asked arious friends to try and access my website www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk from their location and almost all could access my website including one friend in Australia. The only person who couldn't was in Illinois USA although that person said ashe could access the website on her cell phone if using mobile data but not her home wi-fi. I tried my own mobile smartphone and likewise I can get my website using mobile data but not if trying to connect via my plusnet wi-fi. I took all my devices to my daughter's house half a mile from here. Her ISP is Virgin Media and I was able to get my website on all my devices using my daughter's Virgin Media wi-fi connection. My next door neighbour here in Nottingham is on Plus net and has the same model router as myself. I tried getting  my website on my neighbour's laptop PC but I get the same message I get at home namely Hmmm! Can't reach this page. All off this seems to point to the issue being with Plusnet or their router as Plusnet or their router seems to be blocking access to this one site. How this can be is beyond my understanding. The only other thing to say that might be relevant is that back in early July before the domain name was transferred and before the previous owner's subscription expired I could view the previous owner's website hosted by one.com and which was linked to the domain name.  

24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Cannot view my own website on plusnet

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

I've tried 4 connections PN, Voda and 2 VPN connections.

It's only worked on Voda - seems there's a DNS propagation issue.
Customer / Moderator
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Not working on my Zen connection.
cailean
Hooked

Thank you for giving this your attention but, sadly, already you have lost me. You say the website can be reached on VODA - I presume that's vodaphone ? - which is a mobile network. As I said, I can access the website on my own smartphone which is with 1p (part of EE). PN, I assume is short-hand for plusnet. As I said I cannot reach the website on my own or my neighbour's plusnet set-up - either on wi-fi or ethernet connection. I do't know anything about VPN- virtual private networks. 

You say there seems to be a domain propagation issue. What does that mean? Who is responsible for resolving the issue - Plusnet, WIX or 123 Reg and how do I go about putting wheels in motion to resolve the issue?

dvorak

Probably just patience.
I don’t use the PN DNS servers - where browsers get the IP address from.

Can take up to 48 hours to propagate
Customer / Moderator
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Seems to work fine on Sky - at my daughters at the moment..

cailean
Hooked

The website has been published to the domain www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk for over a week and the problem persists.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@cailean   I just tried that link on my mobile (iphone) and got the message that Safari couldn't open the link.

So I turned off PlusNet wifi on the mobile (service to which is provided by Three).

Refreshed the page.

"Stonyfield Self-catering Holiday Cottage", it said.

I'm no techie (token non-techie SuperUser) but to me it does look as if it could (somehow) be a PlusNet wifi issue.

However if indeed it's DNS-related (as per posts above) then it could clear (maybe).

Give me a shout if it's not visible by Monday and I'll escalate it then if need be.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

However if indeed it's DNS-related (as per posts above) then it could clear (maybe).

It does seem to be a DNS issue. Nslookup fails using both OpenDNS and Google DNS servers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cailean
Hooked

Hi Penny, The WIX website has been pulished to this URL www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk since 23rd July . Whilst it seems to be reachable by most smartphone owners using mobile data to access the internet, my website is inaccessible on any device which is connected to the internet through some ISPs including my own ISP which is Plusnet. My next door neighbour here in Nottingham and my daughter in Cumbria - both with Plusnet - are unable to access my website. Obviously, it defeats the whole purpose of the world wide web if significant numbers of people cannot access the website for some mysterious reason. 

dvorak

The issue isn’t Plusnet solely- as has been stated there are issues with the lookup for google and opendns as well as another isp zen.
You need to talk to wix at this point
Customer / Moderator
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I found two different IP addresses related to the domain, one for www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk and another for stonyfieldcottage.co.uk  when attempting to connect directly by IP address both went to Wix but would not allow access to the site. I think the problem lies with Wix and not Plusnet.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@Browni wrote:
Not working on my Zen connection.

Now that odd because I can get it on my Zen connection…..FTTC……In Lancashire

We are born into history and history is born into us.
mikeb
Rising Star

As others have said, this really does look like just a DNS issue rather than something more specific to PN.

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/www.stonyfieldcottage.co.uk 

Hmmmmm,I reckon popping down to OZ, NZ or some other nice place just to see if it really is working there would be a good idea !  Sure beats the h*ll out of  "... have you tried turning it off and on again ? " doesn't it  Tongue

There's no real way of knowing whether the results apparently being provided by lookups vaious are old and out-of-date info that is still being cached way beyond it's TTL etc or shiny new info that is still propogating (albeit ridiculously slowly) or just complete rubbish, unless ...

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue