Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot log into ccgi.[user].plus.com

kaspencer
Rising Star

Cannot log into ccgi.[user].plus.com

Greetings all ...
... I have raised a question on this but thought I might post it here in case others have a similar problem.
My CCGI space is at the usual ccgi.[user].plus.com but since about midinight last might (9th) it has been unavailable as far as FTP is concerned.
There are only data files and scripts on the site so I haven't any HTP pages.
The error is:
530 Login incorrect.
! Login failure, so quitting!

Does anyoine know what's going on?
Ken
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Cannot log into ccgi.[user].plus.com

FTP access to CGI hosting using FileZilla works for me but I've just had 'incorrect username or password' when trying to login to Control Panel (using Firefox). I tried twice with the same result, but after refreshing the tab (Ctrl-F5) my third attempt was successful.
Are you trying to FTP using a browser?
David
David
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks David ...
Are you trying to FTP using a browser?

I have tried both ways, via two different browsers, and by my usual FTP client, which works fine (and has done for many years) with a huge number of FTP sites, including Plus Net's old CGI and the more recent CCGI servers.
As regards the Control Panel, I have access to that, but I had to request a new password in order to gain access.
And I still cannot login to the CCGI server neither by FTP nor web browser.
Until I am able to access the CCGI space, I will have to change my scripted procedure so that the CCGI FTP access is not required. But I still cannot see why I can't get to it by FTP whether by FTP or Browser.
Thanks and regards
Ken

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Since you can log in to Control Panel I suggest doing that and opening FTP Manager. Then in the bottom left of the FTP Manager window you can set the Master FTP password. Set that as required, then try your FTP client again with the new password.
While you are in FTP Manager check the "Directory FTP users" panel (middle left) is empty - long shot but when first migrated some users (this one included) had a corrupt entry in there which screwed up FTP access.
David
David
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks again, David.
Some progress made, but problem essentially remains.
I used FTP Manager to create/change the Master FTP password.
Now, my FTP Client can login BUT the LIST operation which occurs immediately after the login fails.
Here is the log:
connecting to ccgi.[my username].plus.com
Connected to ccgi.[my username].plus.com port 21
220 Website FTP Server Ready
USER ccgi.[my username].plus.com
331 Password required for ccgi.[my username].plus.com.
PASS (hidden)
230 User ccgi.[my username].plus.com logged in.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
Host type (I): UNIX (standard)
PORT 10,0,0,34,207,86
200 PORT command successful
LIST
! Receive error: Blocking call cancelled
! Retrieve of folder listing failed (0)

I have also tried creating a new FTP User with access to a named directory, but the same sequence of events occurs.
I'm hoping that this information may help you to suggest what is wrong, as my ticket remains unanswered!
Many thanks
Ken.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That seems like something is wrong with directory ownership/permissions. I think Plusnet need to take a look.
David
David
kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks David ...
... that was my conclusion, although I couldn't actually believe that this sort of setup error could occur.
I haven't heard a whisper of response yet, but I have added the above details to my question.
Ken
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: spraxyt
That seems like something is wrong with directory ownership/permissions. I think Plusnet need to take a look.

It will be because the servers don't allow active connections (same thing happens from a Windows command line). You need to configure the client to use a passive connection. Hostopia have a case raised with one of their vendors to investigate why active connections are blocked.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kaspencer
Rising Star

It is indeed true, as Bob says, that changing the connection mode to Passive resolved the issue.
Maybe this could be added to the lookups used by the first-tier telephone support team, as it did take an age to get a reply that resolved the issue.
Best wishes,
Ken