Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to my old free webspace

FIXED
caroltay
Dabbler

Cannot connect to my old free webspace

I have a website which was on freenetname, which then became madasafish. I recently tried to update it using Coreftp but my plusnet details don't work on it. When I look for my webspace details on plusnet there aren't any. I think that perhaps by signing into madasafish I might be able to get the old details up so I can type them into Coreftp and then update the website. However I have forgotten my password and can't reset it because the link to do so on the madasafish site doesn't work. I am assuming the username I put in was correct: my freenetname email address. I don't have any old madasafish correspondence or emails.

So- how do I find out my old madasafish password/username?

And- what do I type in to update my website please? 

The website is still on the internet, so the free webspace is still there, which on changing to plusnet I was assured would be the case. However, it's not much use if I can't update it! My free domain name is spiritdancer.co.uk. 

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Cannot connect to my old free webspace

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> spiritdancer.co.uk
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4545
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1452
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;spiritdancer.co.uk.		IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
spiritdancer.co.uk.	10800	IN	SOA	ns1.force9.net. hostmaster.plus.net. 2018010201 43200 1800 604800 86400

;; Query time: 20 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Nov 09 15:37:30 GMT 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 113

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @caroltay,

In regards to the password, we'll need to arrange for a callback to look further into this. So we can do so, please send me a private message including a date and time you can be contacted and a number that you're able to contacted on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from Broadband to Everything Else.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
caroltay
Dabbler

Thank you so much, I have private messaged you.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Fix

Thanks @caroltay, I've received your message and will be in touch later.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
rajm

I'm seeing a similar issue trying to upload files to my freenetname webspace, though it seems that the ftp server is not responding at all?

ftp www.users.freenetname.co.uk
ftp: connect: Connection timed out

that was the address I've always used to upload but it now seems to not be accessible?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @rajm,

I've double checked and the ftp component is active. I've refreshed it to make sure any issues should be ironed out if you'd like to lave it half an hour and try again. The full FNN ftp instructions are below if you need them:

Your Web address: 

You will need these details when setting up an FTP connection to your webspace:  http://www.users.freenetname.co.uk/~YOURUSERNAME

• FTP server: www.users.freenetname.co.uk
  • Username: YOURUSERNAME
  • Password: Your account password
  • Sub-directory: htdocs (upload files to this folder)
  • Webspace Allocation: 100 MB

You will need an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Client to upload and download files from your webspace. FTP clients are readily available, but we recommend CuteFTP.

You can upload to your webspace 12 hours after signing up. Uploaded files are instantly viewable at http://www.users.freenetname.co.uk/~YOURUSERNAME

Please ensure the first page of your site is index.html or index.htm (case sensitive).

rajm

Jolo

Thanks for your response I'm still getting a timeout - I've tried using command line ftp and gftp (I'm using Linux). I'm also attempting to access ftp from a virginmedia address - but that has always worked for me before.

I've tried pinging and I get

PING www.users.freenetname.co.uk (62.252.172.241) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from know-sspiprxy-vip.network.virginmedia.net (62.252.172.241): icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=12.6 ms

that looks wrong to me - unless your webserver / ftp uploader is controlled by virginmedia? If not maybe it's a virginmedia issue?

My site is www.capuchin.co.uk which still works it's just getting to the ftp server to upload that is currently failing.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Using Windows nslookup with Google or Plusnet DNS, I get correct results

C:>nslookup www.users.freenetname.co.uk 212.159.6.9
Server:  cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.9

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.users.freenetname.co.uk
Addresses:  212.159.8.151

The address doesn't respond to pings, but it looks like you might have a DNS lookup problem.Sad

David
rajm

David

Yes I guess a DNS problem too - thanks for supplying the IP address connecting to that worked fine and I uploaded what I wanted. I assume this is a problem with virginmedia's DNS - yes if I use google I get the correct address!

Robert