cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to FTP server

btaylor23

Cannot connect to FTP server

I can ping the Force9 FTP site but I cannot reach it with "FTP" from the command prompt, ie before I am asked for userid and password. I also cannot connect with either of my FTP programs (WSFTP and FTP Commander). The FTP program settings are as recommended, the userid and password are correct, and the programs have ZoneAlarm firewall permission (and I cannot connect with ZoneAlarm disabled). I get a "connection timed out: Winsock error 10060" message.
The only change that I am aware of having made is re-establishing a "data over mains" network with my laptop about a week ago. My last (successful) attempt at ftp was on 3 March.
It sounds like something simple, but has me baffled. Can anyone help. please?
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: Cannot connect to FTP server

It iis a simple tiime out error
Check the obvious first: check that the destination address is a valid IP address. If you used a hostname, did it resolve to the correct address? If the hostname resolution uses a local host table, it's possible you resolved to an obsolete address. Can you ping that hostname?
do a tracert to the ip and see iif there is a router problem. ping the host which will give you a ip
then try connecting via ip instead of host name as it could be a dns problem
btaylor23

Thanks, Samuria.
I have tried all those. I can ping the host name and the IP address, but I cannot FTP either.
I have done a tracert, which gets through to the IP address in about 5 links, but I don't know what it is supposed to tell me.
Regards.
samuria
Grafter

If you can ping it and resolve the host name this means its ok and dns is working. try downloading the FREE ftp from
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php
and see if that works its a great prog and free. Given your info its either a firewall issue, its very buzy when you try, you have a lot of internet connections open and exceeded the xp sp2 limit.
Down the ftp install setup you details reboot and then try before you open any browsers or any other internet progs dont forget to open the firewall first
btaylor23

FTP Commander is on my desktop,  WSFTP is on the laptop (usually connecting to internet via desktop through homeplug network). Neither would work in this configuration.
I was confident that the laptop would ftp if connected directly to the broadband modem, and it does. Now when I reinstate the previous arrangement, I can ftp from laptop via the network - bizarre.
So at least I have a means of updating websites, but still cannot understand the desktop failure to connect. I may reinstall ZoneAlarm
samuria
Grafter

you need to set your ftp to passive as i suspect that is the problem. Normally ftp connect to the server on port 21 and the server replies on another port so as the connection is coming from an external source the firewall blocks it. In passive or pasv it connects on port 21 and the server send back on port 21 which is open and tells the client what port to use as the port is opened on the local pc from inside it normally get past any firewall.

See for more detail
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Understanding-FTP-Protocol.html
btaylor23

Thanks, Samuria.
However, the ftp applications are both set to passive, and ports 20 and 21 are open in Zone Alarm.