Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access my website through FTP

Wavemachine
Dabbler

Cannot access my website through FTP

Hi,
I was trying to get some files off my website hosted by fasthosts yesterday, I cannot seem to be able to FTP from any of my desktop machines, I have tried filezilla, explorer and Wise-ftp they all seem to get a connection and then it seems to time out or not get authorised.
My username and passwords are correct, I can't even connect to Mozilla's FTP site as an anonymous user! I have tried to FTP to my website from work and it is fine. I have tried switching the windows firewall off at home and also checked my plusnet firewall which is currently off but it still doesn't work which leaves either a plusnet issue or my router settings.
I have a tp-link wd-9980 the only info I can find about FTP is setting it up as an FTP server which is not what I want and cannot find anything obvious in the configuration. I am using a Plusnet 80/20 fibre package.
I am IT literate but networking is not my strong point so any ideas/help will be appreciated.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cannot access my website through FTP

have you contacted fasthosts as it may be a problem at their end
Wavemachine
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, I don't think it is a problem at fasthosts side as I can connect from a machine at work, use a web based ftp application at home and cannot ftp into Mozilla.org either.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since ftp reaches the site but authorisation fails it would be useful to identify why.  Fasthosts  should be able to tell you that.
David
Wavemachine
Dabbler

Thanks, I will raise a ticket with them and see if they can cast any light on it!
Wavemachine
Dabbler

It seems to be an issue with my TP link 9980 router, I rebooted it and could FTP fine, a day later FTP stopped working again!
The router also on reboot fails to authenticate with plus net so I have to run quick setup again to get it to authenticate, I have raised a ticket with TP Link, this is my second router with them the first one kept locking up!
StephenEvans

I am having the issue with my hosting, works at work and my friends but not at home.
Making working impossible.

Worked fine till i moved to plusnet.