cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload to my webspace.

Feather15
Hooked

Can't upload to my webspace.

I have a website not touched for a couple of years, I use Filezilla as my client and connected with ftp.plus.net, now it doesn't work.

I get an error message saying,  The server you are publishing to does not have the Front Page Server Extensions installed, and therefore does not support publishing via HTTP. To continue publishing, specify a location that will work with FTP.

I have contacted Plusnet Technical Dept. They say that they will look into it, but also referred me to the community for help in the meantime.

So, basically I need a protocol that will work and upload my files.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Feather15.

9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Can't upload to my webspace.

@Feather15 

Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums. Smiley

I am not sure your topic will attract meaningful answers for historical reasons. Frontpages was a Microsoft website publishing system which they stopped supporting over 15 years ago. Plusnet used to run a dedicated Frontpages web hosting platform but decommissioned it over 10 years ago. This led to websites being moved to the Homepages server - see .Moving your website to the Homepages servers using FrontPage 2003 which must have been done since your website survives.

Decommissioning should have precluded future publishing with FileZilla only able to download and upload files using  FTP after they have been manually edited.

Have you done any site editing in the last few years?

David
Feather15
Hooked

Hello spraxyt, thank you for your prompt reply.  I created my website some 15 years ago and continually used and updated it on and off for about 5-8 years. then I lapsed for a while and started again but had trouble uploading files without knowing why. so I gave up again, this was 2 years ago.  This week I tried again and it was giving me the error signs that ftp or ftp over tls was not supported by my server.  Yet when I googled my query it still said that Plusnet used FTP. this is why i'm in a quandry.

If I type www. then my site address it sometime appers as http, then if I click that sometimes I get the site up but not every time.

Percy.

Feather15
Hooked

Hello again spraxyt,   I just did as you said and loaded Frontpage 2000 but it doesn't show the remote website in the view menu.

So I typed www. my username@plus.com  and it came up with this:-  

Index of/

Name Last Modified Size Descrytion

Htdocs/ 20-20-01-23:26

Does this mean that the servers hold my old website still, or not ?

Not seeing the remote website in the view menu, does that mean I can't update it in the way you mentioned?

Percy.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Feather15 

Sorry I didn't intend you to load FrontPages 2000. There's no chance of this connecting to anything because its support server was decommissioned 10 years ago. Before decompressing your files must have been moved to the Homepages server which is where the article I linked to would have been involved.

If you browse to www.<username>.plus.com you should find the Homepages server displays your website home page, perhaps broken in some ways because its HTML code references FrontPage extensions the server doesn't support.

Now if you use FileZilla, enter ftp.plus.net in the Host field along with your username and password it should try to FTP to your webspace folders. It might complain that the server does not support secure FTP which is the case.

Your browser displaying the site does mean the server holds your (old) files in your /htdocs folder. FileZilla should be able to download them to your computer but i think you'd need to edit their HTML code manually. The aim would be to eliminate any FrontPage extension dependencies. have you tried this before?

David
Feather15
Hooked

Hello again spraxyt, I have just tried what you recommended and downloaded from the server to my computer and it worked. 

However as i'm using Frontpage 2000 it may differ from others as I can't see any reference to the 'remote server'  in the View menu. So at the moment I'm rather stuck, I'm not sure if my knowledge is sufficent to sort it from here unless it's really clear to me.  One other point, If by any stroke of luck or good management I did get it sorted with ther server, would I still be able to do the editing in Frontpage 2000, Sorry but I know i'm clutching at straws.

Percy.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi @Feather15 I'm pleased to hear you got downloads to work.This implies uploads will also.

Frontpage 2000 will ^not^ connect to anything because the Frontpages server with special scripts it will be looking for was decommissioned (that is turned off) 10 years ago. Microsoft had not supported the system needed to run it for several years. I think it is fair to say this situation will not change.

While Frontpage 2000 might continue to work as a basic WYSIWYG website design tool that does not require any knowledge of HTML it is very dated. I suspect the pages it produces will not display well on small mobile devices such as tablets or phones.

As a comprehensively featued replacement why not take a look at BlueGriffon? A free version is accompanied by an optional user guide which costs a one off €7.50 (plus VAT). Future changes to the guide to reflect software updates come free.

David
Feather15
Hooked

Hi spraxyt,  thank you for your very helpful information. As you mention, I think I will give Blue Griffon a try, I googled it and it seems fairly decent.

When I do download and install it I presume that seeing that my original website is still on the servers, I should be able to download the Htdocs into Blue Griffon and carry on working on it from where I left off, hopefully.

Many thanks again Dave, when i've had a day or two to play around I will get back to you and let you know how I got on.

Percy.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Feather15 wrote:

When I do download and install it I presume that seeing that my original website is still on the servers, I should be able to download the Htdocs into Blue Griffon and carry on working on it from where I left off, hopefully.

Sorry I don't know if this will be an option - or indeed if you'd want to do this with very dated HTML. It probably depends on the visual complexity of your website.

I think introducing CSS (cascading style sheets) is also worth exploring

Starting from scratch with BlueGriffon might be the best option to generate current standards for HTML.5 with CSS.

David
Feather15
Hooked

Hi spraxyt,  I did as you suggested and tried Blue Griffon web editor. I followed a few tutorials on the web and I t wasn't too bad on the whole but I found getting on with the fonts and sizes was a bit like working on a knife edge. So, I changed tack and tried Microsoft Expression Web4.  I find this reasonably easier and have actually started a page one, index page, put a banner and a picture on and a couple of navigation buttons in a side panel.  It actually work live through to the internet . I'm using Filezilla so i must be doing something right at last.and it shows at least tha plusnet servers are now working with the FTP from Filezilla. 

I thankyou very much for all your help and I hope I can call on you again if needed if I may.

Percy..