cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find PHPmyAdmin on hosting.plus.net and databases aren't visible

AndyBB
Hooked

Can't find PHPmyAdmin on hosting.plus.net and databases aren't visible

This is similar to another post but I thought I'd post separately as I couldn't see an immediate resolution in that post, i.e..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Can-t-FTP-to-ccgi-web-space-hosting-plus-net-has-chang...

Since I logged in to hosting.plus.net last the interface seems to have changed. I can't see the phpmyadmin utility anywhere and my databases aren't listed in the MySqlManager tool.

The guestbook and forum I have hosted on this space are working though.

Does anyone know how I can get to the databases?

Thanks

Andy

18 REPLIES 18
AndyBB
Hooked

Re: Can't find PHPmyAdmin on hosting.plus.net and databases aren't visible

I'm still struggling with this one.Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

12stringbassist
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I'm in the same situation as you.
No idea where it's been moved to.

Surprised that nobody from plusnet seems to be involved in their support forum.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Can't help either of you, I'm afraid - webspace is a black art to me, but the reason no PN staff are responding is possibly because this is a legacy product and I'm guessing all the staff who used to know about it are no longer here.

John
flatious
Hooked

Can't FTP to ccgi web space; hosting.plus.net has changed, can't find phpMyAdmin ... The reason you can't see phpMyAdmin is because it is accessed from within dying light... We are looking at why the databases aren't displaying and hope to have an ... MySQL Manager, but perhaps that's because the databases are not showing up ...

12stringbassist
Grafter

@flatious
Can you please keep us posted on this?

AndyBB
Hooked

Is there any news on this? Thanks

12stringbassist
Grafter

I have a ticket regarding this. INFOPF-47441 from Feb 23rd.
it looks to be being ignored because plusnet don't do webspace.

The phpmyadmin is hosted by someone else and PN have no idea about it.

I have started again somewhere else.
8 years of my forum down the sh1tter.

As always, if anyone at PN cares, please comment, we'd love to hear from you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@AndyBB & @12stringbassist - What are you trying to do? Create a new database, or administer an existing one? If it's the latter, and you know the database credentials (can easily be obtained from your website files if you still have FTP access) then an interim (and arguably less clunky) method would be to use something like Adminer instead.

The issue has arisen as a result of the underlying changes that were made as part of the Hosting Control Panel refresh.

There is a way for us to bring things back, however the last I checked there were still some issues with the approach which is why it hasn't been applied globally. I'll see if I can find out where people got to with things...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyBB
Hooked

@bobpullen Thanks for the reply. At the moment I want to be able to administer an existing database. I'd really like to get things back to how they were if that's possible as I'm more familiar with phpmyadmin and use it elsewhere too. if you can find out more about the status of the underlying issue that would be appreciated. I want to be able to use all the features I had available on my webspace.

I do know the database name and credentials but if I was to use Adminer as an interim method, how do I go about pointing it to the existing database on the Plusnet server?

I don't do this very often so any steps you can give will be helpful.

Thanks

Andy

12stringbassist
Grafter

I'm trying to download a workable copy of my database. If that's possible.

I can get at the files, but there is a specific way to download them that has to be followed to make them work.

Plusnet have made my forum in the cgi space totally invisible, so I have moved all of my webstuff elsewhere.
A forum that's been in place for 8 years, dead.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@AndyBB upload the adminer file to your webspace, set relevant permissions etc. and then browse to it.

It will prompt you for your database credentials which would look something like this (server name should be as seen below; other bits you'd need to replace with your own db info):-

adminer.JPG

You should find once logged in that it's reasonably intuitive.

@12stringbassist you can also export a copy of your database in e.g. sql format by using Adminer.

Regarding your forum, I can browse to it and log in so I'm not sure what you mean by 'invisible'? 🤔  

Regarding the errors in your support ticket (not sure how to replicate?) - it could be that they they are a product of the referenced PHP function's behaviour changing between PHP versions? - http://www.w3big.com/php/func-string-htmlspecialchars.html

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

12stringbassist
Grafter

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much indeed for your reply on this. Appreciated big time!
The situation at the start of the month was that the server was inaccessible via FTP.
Saved FTP access wouldn't let me in. I could see the files via the PN webspace portal, though.
The forum at ccgi.crazeeworld.plus.com/slade/index.php was showing a 404 page.
It looked like the webspace had been switched off somehow.

I've managed to log into the forum and do a database backup there now.

Hopefully I will be able to follow the instructions at

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.3/kb/article/transferring-your-board-to-a-new-host-or-domain...

and get a working copy of the full original forum in my new webspace.

AndyBB
Hooked

Thanks for this @bobpullen. I'll try out Adminer. I see there are two downloads available, Adminer 4.8.0 and Adminer 4.8.0 (for MySQL). I guess I need the latter?

Interestingly, I logged on to the Control Panel today and when I look at MySQL Manager I now see my database listed. Do you know if something has been done to make it appear?

However, although the database, user and server names seem correct but if I attempt to manage the database it says "Welcome to phpMyAdmin" as well as "Access denied" so I'm not sure if the password has been changed. I haven't tried changing it or adding a new admin user though in case I break something!

Thanks

Andy

12stringbassist
Grafter

Thanks ever so much, Bob for letting me know that the Slade forum had become visible again.
It was still erroring all over the place but I managed to get into the Forum admin control panel and to back up the database in the right format. FTP now shows the forum files again, so i was able to retrieve those.

Following the guide that I mentioned above, I have managed to merge the old PN database in to a new one with my new web hosts and to configure the forum to read the database, so now it works perfectly.
But not on Plus Net, unfortunately.
I'm really grateful to Bob for the heads up that the old forum was showing again.

The new forum is at http://www.perseverancesite.co.uk/sladeforum/index.php and it is a thing of beauty.