cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i have my blog back please ?

gazzeroo

Can i have my blog back please ?

Hi, dont seem to be getting any response from my ticket (28998283), so thought I'd try here to see if anyone can help.
Setting the scene : I've been a very happy customer of Plusnet for many years, but have just moved house to an area where the ADSL speeds are quite poor, so with regret I was forced to cancel my Plusnet account and move to a cable provider. I called to cancel my account but given the short notice I was told I had to pay for the 30 day notice period. No problem I thought, my account will stay active and I'll have a good few days to take copies of all the things I'd uploaded to my web page and also take a backup of my SQL database that held my wordpress blog.
The Problem : Someone at plusnet obviously decided that I had left despite me still paying for the service until mid July. While my email still works (as I hope it does for some considerable time on the free service that plusnet provide when you leave - thanks for this by the way) my 250Meg webspace was instantly reduced to 25Mb (currently my 140ish Mb usage is currently showing as 580% over quota) and much more importantly it appears that my ccgi area has been wiped entirely. While the main web page still seems to work, I can no longer access my wordpress blog or log into myphpadmin on rumpus to access the database. 
Yes i know I should have taken full backups of the information before i cancelled, but I didnt, and am currently fully regretting that decision.
Anyone (especially members of plusnets support team) got any ideas on how to get this back.  I'd assume you can reload the information from your backup service, but no-one seems to be answering my ticket to tell me if anything is being done.
I'd never had a problem with plusnet before and even recommended several people to join, but it seems that my final impression could end on a sour note.  Shame.
18 REPLIES 18
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Can i have my blog back please ?

It looks like your Account has been Deleted, All your files will have been Deleted from the CGI platform, and 90% or more will have been Deleted from the Home pages Server as well, there is no way of geting the Files Back.
Did you not keep a back up on your computer ?
gazzeroo

I have a copy of my main webpage as those are the files that I edit before uploading, but unfortunately the blog on the ccgi side of things is a much more 'on the fly' kind of thing. I think I have a backup of the wordpress blog from about August 08, but I never got round doing it again as I thought that I would have the time to do it after I moved house (seeing as I was still paying for the service).
If what you are saying is true then I am not a happy bunny. Exactly what am I paying for during the 30 day notice period ? Apart from someone to delete my data prior to the end of my contract.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gazzeroo,
I'll need to have a word with the networks team but I don't think it looks good. You're correct in that the account appears to have been downgraded early and then re-upgraded.
I'm sorry for the hassle, I'll see what we can do.
gazzeroo

Ok, thanks orbrey.
I wait your response with everything (finger, toes and anything else I can physically manoeuvre) crossed.
If you cant recover the files then at least I will have the subject for my first rant on my new blog sorted.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gazzeroo,
I've raised a ticket up to networks and will prod them shortly, as soon as we have an answer I'll post back.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good news!
The archive has been restored and will be put back on the CGI component early this afternoon (it takes 4 hours or so to rebuild unfortunately) but I've also asked Dan to put the tar archive in your FTP space so you have a backup as well.
I'll post back as soon as the CGI is back up for you, but very glad I could bring you good news.
Cheers,
Matt
gazzeroo

Excellent news Matt.
I knew you (plusnet) wouldnt let me down. I look forward to it being back up when I get home from work, and then I can set about moving everything to it's new home before I get downgraded for the last time.
Really sad that I am leaving plusnet, but speed is everything and the 1mb i would get at my new home just wouldnt cut it, especially after having 6mb connection for the last 5 years.
Thanks again.
G.
gazzeroo

Hi Matt
I've downloaded the backup file from my FTP area, but I notice my blog/myphpadmin etc isnt back up yet on the website.
What's the latest ? 
G.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gaz,
I've talked to the networks team and they've replied to the ticket. Unfortunately there was an issue with the CGI space building and while this has been rectified it won't be active until either later on today or tonight. I'll keep my eye on it and if it does finish today we can upload the site then. Worst case scenario it'll be back up and running tomorrow morning.
Sorry for the further delay,
Matt
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gaz,
The component storage has now been built so your files are back up there, but the rest hasn't been created so unfortunately you can't log in yet. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't log in later on this evening though.
Please let me know if there's any further issues, and sorry for the hassle.
gazzeroo

Well as far as I can tell it's not back up yet.
Might have a problem with getting access to things anyway, as I'm sure I read somewhere that I could only login to ccgi services from a plusnet account ?  Obviously I have already moved house and am no longer using my plusnet broadband, so if this is true then i might have some probs anyway.
My girlfriend is currently still using plusnet tho, so I guess I can do things from there if I have to.
Please keep trying tho, I really would like to see my pages again  Cry
G.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again Gaz,
Not so good news this time I'm afraid. Unfortunately when the MySQL component is destroyed so is the content, unlike the CGI content which is backed up.
As such I'm afraid we can't restore any more of the site than is there already.
Sorry for the hassle,
Matt
gazzeroo

So, to clarify,  that means that the backup file that was placed in my FTP area is all that I can expect to be returned, and that my blog cannot be returned to the system because the SQL information was destroyed by someone overly keen to delete me from the system prior to the end of my contract with plusnet ?
I'm not totally up to speed with all things SQL, php, wordpress etc... but I'm assuming that all the actual posts that were made on my blog were actually held in the SQL database. Is that correct ?
So in summary, you are saying that I have the structure of my wordpress blog, but that I've had all my content deleted ?
Hmmm... not overly happy about that. Remind me again why I had to pay for my 30 day notice period ?    I thought I would have the 30 days to perform the relevant backups and to move all my web info to a new home. I'm guessing I'll just have to revert back to the backup I took last August. All my wonderful words of wisdom lost ... forever ! Guess I could try an piece it back together from google cache copies  Roll_eyes
Thanks for trying anyway, dont suppose you have a contact within plusnet that I can put on official complaint into do you ? Or will any complaint just be thrown away saying that it was my fault for not backing up.
Kind Regards
G.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: gazzeroo
Or will any complaint just be thrown away saying that it was my fault for not backing up.

I'm certain it wouldn't be, but you must of course understand that although the loss of data was caused by a mistake at PN, your inability to restore your data is as a result of you having not taken appropriate backup steps.
PN have already done more than I would have expected them to, and perhaps this 'extra mile' was driven by the trigger to this incident being an error on their part.

If you want to complain about them making the mistake and terminating your account early, I can see that as a very justified complaint.
I'd be wary of complaining that they have been unable to restore your data though, as that responsibility sits with you, and always has done. To include this aspect in your complaint would muddy the waters and make it easier to dismiss as partly your fault.
The details for your complaint can be found in the Ts and Cs in the 'legal' section of the Plusnet web page if you decide to make the complaint.