cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get the BT Drop wire moved upstairs?

drewharris

Can I get the BT Drop wire moved upstairs?

We are currently in progress with renovating the house to a degree and we want to get the BT drop line disconnected from our ground floor front room and reconnected to our first floor front room. Is this something that can be done?

Another thing is that we may have accidentally damaged the little box that the drop wire connects to before it becomes a "master" wire without realising what it was. The lid was not on it when we moved in four years ago and my partner assumed it was an old doorbell connection or something and moved some of the wires, the connection is now... sketchy, it drops out a few times a day.

I understand that this is our fault, and of course we are willing to pay out for a replacement. I was just wondering if this replacement could be moved to upstairs since we are converting that room into a sitting room.

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Can I get the BT Drop wire moved upstairs?

This seems to be something that crops up occasionally generally handled on a "one off" basis since it isn't routine. I think it's possible, costing around £150 + VAT.

I suggest contacting Plusnet Sales on 0800 432 0080 for information. They might pass you on to Provisioning.

David
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@drewharris wrote:

We are currently in progress with renovating the house to a degree and we want to get the BT drop line disconnected from our ground floor front room and reconnected to our first floor front room.

Can you clarify where the cable arrives at your property, e.g. underground or overhead and where it emerges or connects? And how it routes to the master socket.

If there is an external junction box in "need of repair" then BTOR should attend to that at no charge to you.

When the engineer arrives to do that you could maybe ask about rerunning the cable from the junction box to a new master socket location.

If you've already "prepared the ground" (holes in walls etc.) he may even do it.

drewharris

Thank you for replying!

There's an overhead cable that comes into our house just above the front door, and on the inside it connects to a small white box which I think is the junction box (the top of which was already removed when we moved in four years ago). In there it looks like the wire splits into four of different solid colours, two of which aren't connected to anything (which may have been our fault).

From what I can tell, this cable and junction box are both quite old because I struggle to find anything about these specifically, a lot of sites mention banded cables etc, but all four wires are single colours...