cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMS / Forum Oppinions

andyrogers
Grafter

CMS / Forum Oppinions

I am looking at possibly setting up my own CMS / Forum soonish and iam struggling which one I should choose.
I have looked at:-
IPBoard
phpbb3
V Bulletin Board
e107
php Nuke
Nuke Evolution
SMF
Iam currently looking towards IPBoard as it seems quite powerfull but also simplish to use and administer.
Could some people give me thier opinions on both IPBoard if they have used it else where or some of the others above if you think I may be making the incorrect choice, and let me knkw their preferred choice and reason why.
Thanks in advance.
Andy
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable

Re: CMS / Forum Oppinions

All I can say is - we opted for SMF out of the choices we had!
Its easy to use, easy to mod and easy to upgrade (/keep secure)
I can't really think of many reasons *not* to use SMF, but it is of course down to choice.
Assos
Grafter

Out of that list I would say SMF of vbulletin SMF is what we use here, it's free and as James said it's easy to add mods to / keep secure. However if you are willing to pay vBulletin is also an excellent package.
zubel
Community Veteran

I use vBulletin for a gaming site that I administer and it's absolutely amazing.
I'm also familiar with SMF here and it's almost as good Smiley
B.
oliverb
Grafter

Anyone know of a board with tree-based rather than thread based discussions?
Assos
Grafter

Just to throw a linky into the equation, I find http://www.forummatrix.org/ to be extremely usefull when comparing forum software, it knows what each package can and can't do and show it to you in an easy to understand format. It's also got a wizard that will help choose suitable forum software - that might be of use to you, oliverb?
glyndev
Grafter

Its not in your list but personally I use Drupal. It has blog, forums, news aggregator and lots more, with plenty of add on modules.
It also has a big advantage on the +net cgi servers in that it is possible to have several different domain names using one set of code without the need to start messing about with .htaccess in order to get the correct content for each site.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are thinking of Drupal remember
PHP 5.2 or higher will be a requirement for Drupal 7

which means it won't work on the Plusnet ccgi servers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)