Did you mean: 

CGI transfer - my application /customers broken and cannot find files

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

CGI transfer - my application /customers broken and cannot find files

Hi Bob,
Let me start by stating cgi / php / apache / lynx / mysql are not my strengths - give me asp / IIS / MS-SQL and I'll run your business for you!
My ccgi application (something I lifted and installed) has been migrated, but does not function without throwing up a number of errors and when I look with file manager, I cannot see the files (/customer directory) to start work on the problem.  I also note that I have a cgi-bin folder and a CGI-BIN folder, which I do not recall being there on the old server.
Application is at /customers
The application appears as though it is trying to run, but I gat the following before the front screen... (Account name obscured)
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_8976027f29d2497ea1efb4e148138f8d, O_RDWR) failed: File too large (27) in /share/storage/04/to/?????????/customers/includes/sc-includes.php on line 21
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /share/storage/04/to/townfield/customers/includes/sc-includes.php:21) in /share/storage/04/to/????????/customers/includes/sc-includes.php on line 21
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /share/storage/04/to/townfield/customers/includes/sc-includes.php:21) in /share/storage/04/to/???????/customers/includes/sc-includes.php on line 21
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /share/storage/04/to/townfield/customers/includes/sc-includes.php:21) in /share/storage/04/to/??????/customers/includes/sc-includes.php on line 23

And the following afterwards...
Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_8976027f29d2497ea1efb4e148138f8d, O_RDWR) failed: File too large (27) in Unknown on line 0
Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Could you please point me right direction so that I might at least try and help myself?
Thanks,
Kevin
Edit: my masking characters have been interpreted as smilies - sorry -  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: CGI transfer - my application /customers broken and cannot find files

@Kevin.
I think the problem is that despite the email inferring migration is complete, actually it isn't. The DNS switch is still to be done, I'm expecting mine to complete overnight.
What has happened there looks to be the result of DNS still sending you to the current ccgi, as it will until cut-over happens. (And I think the error says ccgi /tmp is full. The setup on Hostopia should avoid this problem occurring.)
David
David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Bob,
If Dave was correct and DNS s now sorted, then things are now clearly not right.
I refreshed the page with the broken screen as described above and got a 404 error.  I noted the interstition of "~username" in the path.  I tried the base address url and got the empty website holding age.  I tried /customers and got a 404.
If it helps you test your processes, you could completely back out my migration and run it again.  When I sought to set this application up, it was time critical as we are moving our business in early March, however given my rawness with this technology, I (temporally) switched the solution to Google Docs.  It does the initial job satisfactorily, but in the long term I need this application working. If you want this as a migration test play-ground, I'm happy to help.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi Kevin,
Sorry to hear you've encountered issues Sad
Leave it with me and I'll see if I can get it sorted. I don't really want to back out as each DNS switch will take 24 hours or so to fully propagate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Bob,
To be honest I'm not fussed if this takes a week.
I've always wanted to get to grips with php (which is why I enabled cgi) but never had the time to do so, what with my own IT employment (now retired) and more recently the pub.  The migration and a specific need forced me to do something now.  I have a holding position; if using my space helps you sort the process, then please use it.  I've done no end of application migrations in my time and fully understand the issues and the usefulness of refinement through iteration.
Informed by another thread I'm involved in, can you not address the 24 delay by shortening the TTL on the domain name?  It is not (at present) going to b hit beyond testing, so there will be no strain on he DNS servers.
Cheers,
Kevin

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Townman
Informed by another thread I'm involved in, can you not address the 24 delay by shortening the TTL on the domain name?

I'm not sure how easy that's going to be but I'll look into it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵