Did you mean: 

CGI shell access disabled 17/08

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

CGI shell access disabled 17/08

For those that haven't seen it:
[quote author="Service Status"]When's this work happening?
Today
What does it affect?
Shell access to our CGI hosting platform.
How long will it take?
We will announce further details regarding restoration of the service at a later date.
What does the work involve?
We are disabling SSH and telnet access whilst we investigate a recently identified problem with the platform.
Is it likely to cause problems?
Yes, you won't be unable to access the CGI platform via command line until further notice - http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/18
Is there anything else I need to know?
You will still be able to access the platform using FTP and customers' websites will still be viewable via HTTP. We will post another announcement once we're in a position to be able to restore full access to the platform.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: CGI shell access disabled 17/08

Sorry Bob but.... Embarrassed
[quote author="Service Status"]When's this work happening?
Yes, you won't be unable to access the CGI platform via command line until further notice - http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/18

?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I lookforward to my occassional telnet//SSH  access to trim my guestbook posts.
best wishes,
Doug
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Bob
We are disabling SSH and telnet access whilst we investigate a recently identified problem with the platform.
Yes, you won't be unable to access the CGI platform via command line until further notice

I'd appreciate some help from anyone who has been able to populate a mysql table from a txt file (not csv) without using shell access.
About a year back, Kev Mawson kindly gave me the path for doing this on PAYH -
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '/var/www/vhosts/domain name/httpdocs/CHINESEtcvocab03.txt' INTO TABLE VOCABchinesetc01;

but I haven't yet been successful in executing any address-variables of such a query in the outer-database area of PHPMyAdmin, on the Force9 ccgi server.
I can import a csv file when a table is open (utf8, using CSV LOAD DATA) but all the data goes into the first column, generally (though some of the options cause it to go onto the full number of lines).  I've tried numerous combinations of 'options' but nothing works as simply as a txt file imported via telnet (using a LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'nameoffile.txt' INTO TABLE nameoftable; type of request).
Logic says there must be a direct filepath via which a txt file can be loaded (using php myadmin) into an emptied table, but I haven't been able to locate it and running out of time here.  Currently need to populate tables for Indonesian, Urdu and Bulgarian, amongst others. I've uploaded the txt file to ccgi (Force 9) but I don't know how to tell mysql where it is (and have also tried a number of prefix variables like /files/home1/username/ without mysql having been able to locate the file).  Haven't replicated things like the httpdocs in the original example because assume doesn't apply on ccgi.
Running out of ideas ^^  Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm not sure that can be done within phpMyAdmin since I think "local" would refer to the MySQL server which is probably not the one where the file resides.
However I think running the command within a PHP program on CCGI should work.
The steps would be
(1) FTP the text file to the same directory as the PHP program
Within the PHP program
(2) Connect to the database
(3) $load_query = "LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'nameoffile.txt' INTO TABLE nameoftable";
(4) $result = mysql_query($load_query);
(5) if ($result) {echo "table loaded successfully";}
     else {echo "loading failed< br / >\n", mysql_error();}
Run the program in the browser as for a normal PHP program.
David
David
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: spraxyt
I'm not sure that can be done within phpMyAdmin since I think "local" would refer to the MySQL server which is probably not the one where the file resides.
However I think running the command within a PHP program on CCGI should work.

Sheer genius Smiley
Barely ten minutes from reading your post, the data was loaded.  Thank you sooo much.

I would probably never have thought of positioning the query where the txt file was located, rather than its intended destination.  Entirely logical, though, thinking about it.  Not that I would have known how to construct that query, either Wink
Really appreciate your help.
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
davyjohn
Dabbler

Is there any update to the original subject of this post ... the inability to use shell access to CGI platform. An update was scheduled for 18/08, but nothing has appeared. My problem: Every week I upload a file of mysql statements using putty. I am unable to use mysql import as that stopped working due to a problem your end about 6 months ago (which you couldn't figure). I don't want to have to waste time on another alternative if this is going to be fixed shortly.
Rgds,
Dave Hennings.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why don't you use MySQL Workbench to connect to the Plusnet hosted database and run the updates direct from your local PC?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll try and get an update out for this today, I don't think there is going to be a quick fix for this though.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davyjohn
Dabbler

jelv, thanks for your post. I tried MySQL Workbench last night. I think hostname is cshell.plus.net and it's that service that PN seem to have (temporarily?!) suspended. If another hostname I don't know what it is. Do you? Appreciate your time.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The MySQL servers are called rumpus.plus.net and humbug.plus.net (you use whichever one your database is on). They are still accessible.
davyjohn
Dabbler

jelv, thanks a lot. I did try that last night from the Database | Manage Connections page, but the Test Connection button just sat and stared so I assumed it was not right. The Database | Reverse Engineer page has the option to show logs, and it now shows the following: Fetching schema list. Operation failed: SELECT command denied to user 'me'@'me.plus.com' for table 'schemata'. (I know schemata is a behind-the-scenes table which PN does not (?) give us access to.) Can't get anything from Google, but I hope you can help again. Thanks.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The username and password you use are those which you use when connecting to the MySQL database within programs running on ccgi (you will have been sent them when you activated the MySQL database - username is probably 'username_pn')
davyjohn
Dabbler

Yes, thanks ... the user name and password I specified are correct (not 'me' but 'laserbase'). It's connecting OK just having a problem with this schemata table. I have just used Workbench to access another site I have data on and it worked first time (schema fetched OK and reverse engineered). But there I also see and can choose the information_schema database and schemata table.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Hmmm...
Until now I've used MySQL Administrator & MySQL Query browser, I was going to give you the link and found it had been replaced by Workbench. I assumed it would work in a similar way. I've now downloaded workbench and seen your problem. Time for some research!