cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI server PHP imap module

Oliver1
Dabbler

CGI server PHP imap module

Does the server have the PHP imap extension installed. I'm trying to configure suiteCRM and I cannot get the inbound email section to work.

I believe the security settings prevent any form of meaningful error message, so all I see is some kind of lock-up.

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: CGI server PHP imap module

Yes the PHP IMAP extension is installed on CCGI. However if you are trying to open and read from imap.plus.net:143 this is blocked for security reasons.

If you want PHP errors to be displayed you need to set

php_value display_errors 1

in /public/.htaccess. However this exposes PHP path information and is not recommended on production servers. A less open alternative for production use is to set up an error log as described here. But delete the log from time to time to prevent it becoming excessively large.

David
Oliver1
Dabbler

Is there any way around that limitation so inbound email can be processed?

Presumably the server just blocks ANY outbound connection regardless of type?

Thanks for the tips about errors.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

phpList is able to collect bounce messages using POP3 from mail.plus.net:110 and process them. So I assume the IMAP extension could be used with a POP3.connection.

Sending using relay.plus.net is blocked. However SMTP sending is supported on localhost port 25. Alternatively PHP mail() can be used. In either case make sure the Mail From (sender) header is set to a valid mailbox to receive bounces, The default sender is the website domain and that doesn't have a mailbox.

David
Oliver1
Dabbler

Oh well I've looked it up and the Suite CRM package only supports IMAP (and SMTP), I can't find any sign of anyone bodging it to support POP3 either so I think I'll abandon it. Maybe I can find a different system though.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Is using Gmail as the inbound email interface an option? I think Gmail can be configured to act as a client to retrieve messages from accounts elsewhere. Can suiteCRM access a Gmail account?

David
Oliver1
Dabbler

It looks as though it supports gmail, the default server name is a gmail one, but via IMAP again.

If IMAP is being blocked at the hostopia end then surely it won't help. On the other hand if it is IMAP.PLUS.NET blocking hostopia then gmail could be the answer.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The blocks I've spoken about are within the Plusnet network. I'm not aware of any blocks imposed by Hostopia.

Of course origin, rate limits and spam checks might be imposed on outgoing messages to protect the Hostopia servers from blacklisting.

David