cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI and DNS question, is this possible? ...

JoyrexJ9

CGI and DNS question, is this possible? ...

Hi,
I have my domain hosted elsewhere and my nameservers for my domain (bencoleman.co.uk) are at freeDNS.org
Using the name records at FreeDNS I point my main site to my hosted server. In the past I used my CGI space here at plus.net but got annoyed at poor performance.
However as test I want to set-up a subdomain to point back to my CGI space here at plus.net so I've pointed a test A record for domain "fred.bencoleman.co.uk" to 84.92.1.4 (which is right yeah?) but that just re-directs to the main plus.net site
What else do I need to do on the plus.net side to get that domain to point at my CGI space. I know I'll probably need a .htaccess file but I don't think it's getting that far
Thanks in advance!
Ben
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: CGI and DNS question, is this possible? ...

You can't do what you want to.
For the ccgi server to recognise the domain name it must exist in PNs DNS servers. You can't just point a domain name to the ccgi IP address as the Apache web server will have no idea about your domain. The domain must ge hosted by PN to use the ccgi webspace.
JoyrexJ9

OK thought as much, there was an extra level of "magic" and I guessed hosting the DNS elsewhere was the problem.
Thanks for the reply, I'll either use the URL re-direct that freedns.org allow or have a re-think.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

How long ago did you try your ccgi webspace? The servers have been completely replaced and there is no longer any issues running websites from it.
ffupi
Grafter

Only www or ccgi are allowed subdomains on PlusNet, fred won't work.