cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Web hosting. What the hell is going on? Confused.

mal0z
Grafter

Re: CGI Web hosting. What the hell is going on? Confused.

Sorry Colin - as i hope I said here - i'm not trying to tell people how to do their web sites .
But since I moved my sites to Apache servers with php - I've never had to use CGI, and in fact was advised not to use it - but use php instead. And/Or Javascript of course.
And everything I've needed to do - php has filled the bill, and there are plenty of prewritten scripts available.
So please tell me - would you recommend a person starting out on web sites to use CCGI ?
what am I missing ? - what can it do that php or asp if that is your preference - can't.
Spider
Grafter

Pass, but it does allow me to practice with PHP which the regular webspace does not.
csogilvie
Grafter

CCGI is just a platform which has PHP installed on it - IIRC It's the Customer CGI platform.
PHP can be run as a CGI if you wish - http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.commandline.php and from memory, that's essentially how it is on the CGI platform.
Generally though, PHP is implemented as a module as part of Apache which means that's not a CGI.
donne
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
I don't honestly think PN are interested in offering webspace anymore - and quite honestly I can understand why. No real money in it and just hassle.

There may be others like me who thought that webspace was what made Plusnet a bit special and worth sticking with - I thought I was paying for it as part of the monthly fee.  Remove the special bits and what distinguishes Plusnet from other ISPs?  Just as well to go for the cheapest inclusive phone and broadband package you can get and pay for the bits separately.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you joined before we stopped including webspace the component should still be on your account , and it'll be left throughout any product changes.
Tony_W
Grafter

@Orbrey - Can you confirm that the transition to the new business Option 2 from small business PAYG would be seemless - my CCGI-hosted .co.uk domain web site would just continue as normal?
Tony
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I'll confirm that and happily. I'd advise raising a ticket when you request the change asking that you keep the webspace component to be sure, but yes, the domain and hosting will continue as normal.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and I would suggest it is all backed up just in case  Lips_are_sealed
Tony_W
Grafter

Thanks Orbrey and Oldjim. So I should raise a ticket requesting the change (in which I could ask for the CCGI space and domain settings to be maintained), rather than 'upgrade' using the 'Product change' section of the member centre?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, sorry - I'd say request the upgrade via the button in the portal (which will automatically schedule the change for your next billing date) and then raise a ticket separately advising you have requested the upgrade and that you'd like to keep all the hosting components.
Tony_W
Grafter

Thanks Orbrey - I'll do it when I return from a short break.