cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Web hosting. What the hell is going on? Confused.

mgillespie
Grafter

CGI Web hosting. What the hell is going on? Confused.

There are many posts here with out of date and conflicting information.  Some saying the existing platform (which I use) is being retired anytime now, others saying I need to sign up for a trial of the new platform (for free), the links to this trial are no longer active.
Can I get on the trial?
When the the old platform being switched off?
25 REPLIES 25
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: CGI Web hosting. What the hell is going on? Confused.

Can I get on the trial?  No it has ended!
When the the old platform being switched off?  Know one knows at this time!
DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't know if this adds anything but I've just noticed my webspace consumption drop to 2mb - clearly this doesn't included the 30mb or so I have in the old CGI space as a Wordpress blog. The blog is still active and usable. I am, however, a little concerned at the lack of direction.
mgillespie
Grafter

All the misleadsing threads from Plusnet staff here need updating with this info and then locking.  As at the minute, all the info on whats going on is wildy inaccurate.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: mgillespie
All the misleadsing threads from Plusnet staff here need updating with this info and then locking.

I'll see if I can take this under my wing and bring some clarity to this board over the coming week or two.
I've not had a huge amount of involvement with our hosting arrangements over the last 6 months or so but AFAIK there are no immediate or medium-term plans to decommission the Plusnet CGI platform.
I recognise that announcements were made last year (notably here and here) however the priority of these proposals has slipped and our roadmap for the coming months is focussed on other areas (such as the long awaited business product refresh, the building of a new data suite in Sheffield and the hardening of the network in preparation of some pretty big marketing pushes).
When I get the chance I'll update the various threads across this board and sort out the sticky posts etc. but it's not looking likely that I'll have a huge amount to report in the way of progress I'm afraid Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Finally we get a response - thanks Bob.
(I'm just rather sad that it needs provocative posts to get any response)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sophos9
Grafter

Sorry for the question but what is going to replace it or is it game over?
sophos9
Grafter

Excuse that post above, did not do the reading!
Spider
Grafter

Any news as yet?
mal0z
Grafter

Even today on the business refresh, it seems confused.
I don't honestly think PN are interested in offering webspace anymore - and quite honestly I can understand why. No real money in it and just hassle.
I think they just want us to use proper web hosting services - either their own  at PAYH or elsewhere.
Who wants to use CGI into the future anyway ? - isn't it obsolete ? - I have used html/php on an apache server for several years without needing cgi - what have I been missing ?.
Tony_W
Grafter

@mal0z
I don't use CGI, but I do use the CCGI servers to run PHP. I also use the PHP routines on the CCGI hosting refernced from my Homepages site - the Homepages site would be broken if these routines were not available.
I do not need support with the ccgi servers, short of keeping them running and the server clocks at the correct time. Everything is running smoothly and has for the last 5 or more years.
I do not want the hassle and expense of trying to move the routines and web site elsewhere - I had a bad experience trying to alter my web site and routines to fit the constrictions of PAYH trial earlier this year, with frustration and many wasted hours .
Even if you do not use facilities, others do, so please do not recommend that they are discontinued.
Tony
sophos9
Grafter

Tony - fully agree
Despite the odd glitch and moan, I'm very happy with the performance etc and sure there are improvements that can be made  however to move my site to a proper hosting company, I would almost certainly have to recode lots of bits, not so nice!
mal0z
Grafter

I didn't recommend they are discontinued really -  Wink
I appreciate it is some work updating web sites - I myself did just that when I moved from Frontpage to Dreamweaver ( mostly code view ) and then again when I updated sites to use php includes. Yes it was a fair bit of work - but it has really paid dividends - the sites are so much easier to maintain and update. One site was about 200 pages - so much work !.
Although I recommend that approach, I wouldn't dream of trying to impose my views on the ways to do things.
csogilvie
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Who wants to use CGI into the future anyway ? - isn't it obsolete ? - I have used html/php on an apache server for several years without needing cgi - what have I been missing ?.

What makes you think CGI is obsolete?
What (I think) you are missing is what the (C)CGI platfrom is... it's a means of customers running Perl/PHP on webservers on their account.
If Plusnet had wanted to, they could have decided to enable PHP on the Homepages (www.username.plus.com) platform instead of hte seperate platform but in terms of security etc. I guess it was decided to have them on a seperate platform.
sophos9
Grafter

I've been thinking about this and unfortunately I've moved my site tonight and signed up with a dedicated hosting company. I dont think its fair to leave people hanging with no communications. Next step will be to transfer my broadband to another provider, cgi webspace was the only reason I was with plusnet and I feel my hand has been forced really.
Shame, I spent the last 5 odd years with PN Sad