Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Space changes ...

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: CGI Space changes ...

Certainly not by me, my first opportunity to do anything with a migrated database was today - and I've yet to login to my forums. Can't even do that now because my database has disappeared.
Sending emails from SMF and phpBB3 forums newly installed (by me) on a test account worked some of the time when sent to a Plusnet address; always worked when the Cloudmarks were bypassed. Activation emails (inbound via the Cloudmarks) were prone to this. Of course this has been reported to Plusnet and "something was done".
What happens in your case?
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It gives an error.
The phpBB configuration is still pointing at relay.plus.net. I assume therefore that they have configured relay.plus.net to accept emails from the new server without authentication because otherwise they would have been changing peoples configuration to point to the appropriate server at the same time as they changed the database connection details.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I chose the internal (PHP's own) mail option, didn't try configuring to use relay.force9.net (in my case) at all. Discussion of mailing limits in earlier pages of this thread has assumed use of Hostopia relays.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Sorry, I think I must need to go to SpecSavers. Please could you make it easy for me and point me to where it says that I will need to make configuration changes to enable emailing from applications work in either the emails sent out or http://community.plus.net/hosting-faqs/
Emailing is a pretty basic function used in many interactive applications so if it was going to need application or configuration changes to continue to work that should have been highlighted.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: Bob
So users are still posting and new users could still register on the old server.

Which is why I offered the solutions I did earlier.

I presume you are referring to:
Jelv, I'm interested in any differences between your database content you encounter as I know your forum generates a fair amount of traffic. If you find that there are quite a few posts missing etc. then let me know. There will be a few options available to you. We can try and consolidate the databases this side or you could do this yourself with a bit of database manipulation.

So how would you handle this?
[list type=decimal]
  • Database is copied across. Some time later I get the notice it's been done and that you've changed the DNS for ccgi.username.plus.com

• Because my domain's entry for ccgi points to ccgi.username.plus.com how long people continue using the old site is undefined (because we don't know how long the change will take to propagate and the old IP will be in their DNS cache)
  • New users are still being registered being allocated user numbers in the old database. New posts are being made and allocated post numbers in the old database

• For those who have picked up the DNS change new users are registering and new posts are being made against the new database, the first few of which will have duplicate numbers in the old database.

Now how exactly were you proposing that you consolidated the databases and ensured that all posts were allocated to the correct user?

• I haven't consolidated anything. I offered to. It doesn't look as if too many posts have been made on your forum anyway during the time in question but I'm happy to help where I can. Speaking of which your site is up and running on Hostopia now.
    Failing that, you could remove posting permissions for the next 24 hours or so on the current install?

So you were suggesting that immediately I saw your message I stop people being able to make use of the forums for an undefined period of time.
    Tell you what, I'll do that the same day as Plusnet changes it's policy and stops posting Service Status announcements in advance to warn of the portal being taken down for maintenance and just turns it off for 24 hours or so with no warning whatsoever!
    This has been a classic example of the 6 P's.

As already mentioned, I'm happy to take on board any suggestions on how we're better approaching the next large batch of migrations? Do you think a note in the 7 day warning email suggesting those with heavily utilised databases down their sites is worthwhile?
    Was sending emails from the migrated forums tested?

Your forums specifically? No. Sending mail from the Hostopia servers themselves, yes. Sending email from Hostopia to our relay servers, no. TBH, I didn't even realise that was possible on the old platform? Hostopia's IP's wont have been added as an allowed sender. If this is necessary then I apologise as it's an omission on our part.
    Sorry, I think I must need to go to SpecSavers. Please could you make it easy for me and point me to where it says that I will need to make configuration changes to enable emailing from applications work in either the emails sent out or http://community.plus.net/hosting-faqs/

Where is this function in PHPBB? I have an install on my own space and would like to understand what exactly it is you're referring to.
    Emailing is a pretty basic function used in many interactive applications so if it was going to need application or configuration changes to continue to work that should have been highlighted.

You're right, it should have. Unfortunately, it's not something that was considered.

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team
    If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
    Superuser
    Superuser
    Fixes: 160

Hi Bob,
    I do not know if it is me being thick, finger problems or missing information...
    Upon receiving my "you have been moved" confirmation email, I logged into the Control Panel and change my password to be the same as that on my PN account (fewer things to remember).  I can log into the Control Panel using that password, launch MySQL Manager, however I do not seem to have  / know the password for the database / user name - neither my account password or the password send in the email work.
    Have I done something wrong / screwed something up or is there a bit of information out of the migration process not (yet) passed across?  Just as a last ditch check, it is not the same as my old MySQL database as on Rumpus!
    Cheers,
    Kevin
    PS: I've now found it by looking in my application's config.php file - was there another means by which I should have known or found our about this please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
    Superuser
    Superuser

Control Panel phpMyAdmin button roll-over has wrong guidance / advice text...
    <div class="appHover" style="height: 25px;">
    <div class="appTitle">phpMyAdmin</div>
    <p>Manage your MySQL databases</p>
    <div class="appButton">
    <input class="buttonPrimary buttonSmall" id="appHoverButton_phpmyadmin" type="button" value="Launch"></div>
    </div>

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
    Seasoned Hero

I haven't consolidated anything. I offered to. It doesn't look as if too many posts have been made on your forum anyway during the time in question but I'm happy to help where I can. Speaking of which your site is up and running on Hostopia now.

My live forums are still running on ccgi because they are NOT working on Hostopia. As noted above I made DNS changes to ensure this happened.
    Was sending emails from the migrated forums tested?

Your forums specifically? No. Sending mail from the Hostopia servers themselves, yes. Sending email from Hostopia to our relay servers, no. TBH, I didn't even realise that was possible on the old platform? Hostopia's IP's wont have been added as an allowed sender. If this is necessary then I apologise as it's an omission on our part.

Where is this function in PHPBB? I have an install on my own space and would like to understand what exactly it is you're referring to.

As the forums running on Hostopia are not live please go ahead and register as a new user on the Hostopia version and then send a PM to user jelv. You could also try making a post in the Test Forum.
    NB You can check you are on the correct version of the forums as the server IP and name is displayed at the bottom of every page.
    Gabe
    Grafter

Sorry, J, using PN to relay mail wasn't something I'd thought of either.
    Do you think a note in the 7 day warning email suggesting those with heavily utilised databases down their sites is worthwhile?

Good plan.
    Found a few more paths needed fixing in SMF (attachments, avatars, etc.) - it seems only Settings.php had been reconfigured (wrongly).
    From another thread:
    Speaking to Hostopia I think they've created two [databases] where they've struggled with certain database interactions whilst migrating the data (bear in mind we're moving from MySQL4 to MySQL5).

Not sure what the struggle was. I've just created a fresh MySQL5 DB, restored from backup, no errors or breakages, pointed both WP and SMF at it and they're both happy. I've left Hostopia's effort as was. Hey ho.
    Gabe
    bobpullen
    Community Gaffer
    Community Gaffer

Quote from: Townman
    Upon receiving my "you have been moved" confirmation email, I logged into the Control Panel and change my password to be the same as that on my PN account (fewer things to remember).  I can log into the Control Panel using that password, launch MySQL Manager, however I do not seem to have  / know the password for the database / user name - neither my account password or the password send in the email work.

Have a look at your /public/customers/includes/config.php file Wink
    Edit: you beat me to it
    This is covered in the FAQ:
    What about my MySQL login details?
    These will change. The host name of the new MySQL servers will change to sql5c51a.megasqlservers.eu. Your username can be retrieved using the ‘MySQL Manager’ application in the Control Panel.
    Please refer to your website’s configuration scripts to determine your new MySQL password. If you’ve never used our MySQL service then you can choose a new password using MySQL Manager. Your password can also be reset using the same application. However, you should be careful not to break your website if it relies on database connectivity.

Quote from: Townman
    Control Panel phpMyAdmin button roll-over has wrong guidance / advice text...
    <div class="appHover" style="height: 25px;">
    <div class="appTitle">phpMyAdmin</div>
    <p>Manage your MySQL databases</p>
    <div class="appButton">
    <input class="buttonPrimary buttonSmall" id="appHoverButton_phpmyadmin" type="button" value="Launch"></div>
    </div>

Not sure I follow? phpMyAdmin is used to manage your SQL database Huh

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
    Community Gaffer
    Community Gaffer

I haven't consolidated anything. I offered to. It doesn't look as if too many posts have been made on your forum anyway during the time in question but I'm happy to help where I can. Speaking of which your site is up and running on Hostopia now.

My live forums are still running on ccgi because they are NOT working on Hostopia.

I'm still not 100% clear which bits aren't working? Huh
    As the forums running on Hostopia are not live please go ahead and register as a new user on the Hostopia version and then send a PM to user jelv. You could also try making a post in the Test Forum.

Done both.
    Quote from: Gabe
    Found a few more paths needed fixing in SMF (attachments, avatars, etc.) - it seems only Settings.php had been reconfigured (wrongly).

Odd, because they managed to shift my SMF installs without any issues.
    Speaking to Hostopia I think they've created two [databases] where they've struggled with certain database interactions whilst migrating the data (bear in mind we're moving from MySQL4 to MySQL5).

Not sure what the struggle was. I've just created a fresh MySQL5 DB, restored from backup, no errors or breakages, pointed both WP and SMF at it and they're both happy. I've left Hostopia's effort as was. Hey ho.

I get the impression they slipped up with a few other aspects of your account so you have both mine (and Hostopia's) apologies.
    FWIW, another ~250 active accounts were migrated yesterday. So far I've seen two support tickets raised off the back of it.

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team

jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Bob,
    I should have received TWO notification emails - one for the PM and one for the post in the test forum - only the one for the post in the test forum arrived.
    Also I tried registering a new user myself before my last post  - I'm still waiting for the activation email.
    I see that you made two attempts at registering as a new user - but you only activated the second. What happened with the first?
    Gabe
    Grafter

Odd, because they managed to shift my SMF installs without any issues.

It's the paths stored in the settings table of the DB rather than in file. Maybe they fix paths in the MySQL5 DB - but, for whatever reason, they borked mine and tried (unsuccessfully) to revert to MySQL4, so it didn't happen. Ah well.
    Gabe
    Townman
    Superuser
    Superuser

Hi Bob,
    Have a look at your /public/customers/includes/config.php file Wink
    Edit: you beat me to it
    This is covered in the FAQ:

Embarrassed Sorry there is a lot to take in here - I've clearly missed this.  Any possibility of putting a one-line reminder into the move notification email message about this please?

Not sure I follow? phpMyAdmin is used to manage your SQL database Huh

Hmmm... I guess that depends on what you mean by "manage" (and my lack of familiarity with the tools?) - it looks to me like "MySQL Manager" manages the SQL database, though different to what I saw on the PN host, it seems to do the same.  The phpMyAdmin seems to invite the installation of some software, the purpose of which is not clearly stated, so I guess its my lack of familiarity which is not helping me!  Shocked
    Aside for this, all seems to be working now, although there are bits and bobs in the file space which I do not understand their reasons for being there - /cgi-bin & public/CGI-BIN

Cheers,
    Kevin

spraxyt
    Resting Legend

The invitation to "Install phpMyAdmin " is a confusing term. It doesn't install anything, the process initialises phpMyAdmin - configuration files are written into /private.
    Assuming you already have a database setup (as part of the migration) to initialise phpMyAdmin to work with it I suggest doing the following:
    Click install then working through the dialogue steps
    1) Installation directory - probably starts with /public selected. Leave at that: click the "Or create a new directory" textbox, type phpmyadmin and click the create button.. That adds /public/phpmyadmin to the top frame and selects it. Click Next.
    2) Database Information - this should find your database user (10 characters plus a random number) and password (not displayed). If you've only one database that should also be selected by default. Click Next.
    3) Administration Interface - here you choose a username and password which you will use to login to phpMyAdmin. Click Next.
    4) It should now say it's installed and list details. Click Next and it should say Wizard Completed and ask what you want to do next.
    Go to phpMyAdmin displays its login screen. Enter the admin user and password you set up at 3) and hopefully you get logged in to more familiar territory Note there is no logout option, just close the window..
    David
    David