Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: CGI Space changes ...

Sorry, you'll have to wait until your website has been migrated. Sad
David
Chris3005
Grafter

Gabe - thanks, your updated phpini.cgi has worked. While my attempts to set the path appeared to work, they were incorrect; I now have a working local tmp folder.
spraxyt - David, I now understand your original comment about the over-riding upload_tmp_dir statement at the bottom of the php.ini - because Gabe's original script didn't execute the cat my php.ini didn't include that statement. I guess you ran it on the force9 server and it ran properly.
So my board is no longer broken, but it appears that while the Force9 server has a working /tmp and runs cat, the Plusnet servers (or at least, rumpus, which I'm on) don't.
Many thanks to you both for your help, Happy Christmas.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad to hear you got this fixed. Smiley
I used a php.ini (with back links) created a long time ago, didn't rerun the set up script. However I've just checked that the cat command does work on the Force9 server.
Hope it's helpful to mention that 'rumpus' is your MySQL server not the server where your files go. The latter is accessed with FTP as cshell.plus.net.
David
David
Marteknet
Grafter

Will the Cron settings be transferred to the new hosting server, I have just one cron job that calls my own cron handler scrip will this continue to work.
Where can I get IP addresses for the new server. I have scripts that talk to other servers, these pull and push data and pictures from my remote Archive sever and my clients remote Archive server.
Will I still be able to read and write to the htaccess file from php scripts, I have security code that watches for rouge variables and values in GET and POST data and then blocks the offending IP address.
Where I get info about what modules that are installed for PHP, Purl, Curl and will these continue to work.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Plusnet will have to confirm how cron job requirements will be handled on the new service, support for these is not included in the control panel.
The IP address of the new server is mentioned in the Migration FAQ I have a hosted domain pointed to the CGI platform question - 91.136.8.9
Scripts can write to the user's webspace so .htaccess files can be updated.
As stated in the FAQ the aim is that websites will continue to work on the new server which implies modules installed on the current server should continue to be available. However the versions could be more up to date.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi folks,
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party! Wink
Quote from: kaspencer
2. Will the "improvements" allow any kind of command line access to our CGI space? This has severely limited its use since command line tool access (TELNET etc etc) was banned.

Quote from: starfry
Will we get SSH access back?

No, there'll be no shell access I'm afraid.
Quote from: jamie
Quote from: Gabe
Support Pages

Good grief. Support document in MS Word format?  Huh

We'll probably tidy that up at some point, make them more 'Plusnet-esque' and convert to PDF's or something similar. They're the vanilla copies provided by our new hosting partner.
Quote from: Gabe
Quote from: spraxyt
concerning placement of Perl and .cgi scripts. On the new platform these *must* be in the /cgi-bin folder

Or you can add
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

to your .htaccess and then they work as before.

I'll add both of these items to the FAQ.
Quote from: pdedwards
Will we get more disk space FOC ?Huh

Most people will (with the exception of some legacy business accounts). You'll get 500MB of disk space, most users have 250MB, although it's not very pro-actively policed at the moment.
Quote from: hominid
Although PlusNet have mentioned January 2014 as being the date for the changes I was wondering if any of the processes have been started already. Maybe it's coincidence but only yesterday I found a serious problem with WordPress on the server. I can no longer upload photographs as an error message comes back: 'missing a temporary folder'.

As I think you're probably aware of by now, your problems were unrelated.
Quote from: odeno
Does anyone know if all hosting is being moved? And what about email?

Only CGI website hosting and the DNS is staying with us. Email and Homepages hosting will continue as is.
Quote from: odeno
I currently have a domain pointed to plusnet and within the website access ccgi....

If you have a domain pointed to the CGI platform then the migration should accommodate this, however you'll need toi make some changes to your DNS records as explained in the FAQ.
Quote from: quelquod
Tentatively this sounds as though it may be good news if the statement "provides support for MySQL 5 and content management systems like 'Wordpress' and 'Joomla' " means that at last later system software will be made available.

It will.
Quote from: decomplexity
Five years ago, after strong hints from Ian Wild that CCGI was to be closed down, I moved almost all the active server pages of my various websites from CCGI to the (free) PAYH "preview" service which was offered as a replacement.

It's probably worth your time seeing how your content works with the new CGI service when the time arises.
Since CCGI is now finally to be be moved to a white-labeller, PLEASE PLEASE could PN provide some ADVANCE visibility about the future of:
- Preview accounts

Can you elaborate, I'm not entirely sure what you mean?
'home pages' (i.e. non-active)  website space

There are no immediate plans to do anything with the Homepages servers.
email

Same applies, however the email platform is overdue a review of some sort.
Will hosting of the DNS associated with  the moved websites also be moved (to allow changes to be made via the new hoster's control panel) ?

No. This would break email/homepages access amongst other things. DNS will stay with Plusnet.
What about email submitted from e.g. PHP in the new environment? It will presumably have a non-PN IP address so will be subject a more restrictive 'number of addressees'  limit

There are abuse prevention measures in place at Hostopia's side but I'm fairly certain they'll be less aggressive compared to what's in place at present. I shall check we've got the necessary measures in place on our inbound platform to avoid any problems receiving email from Hostopia.
Quote from: Marteknet
Will the Cron settings be transferred to the new hosting server...

Yes.
Where can I get IP addresses for the new server. I have scripts that talk to other servers, these pull and push data and pictures from my remote Archive sever and my clients remote Archive server.

As spraxyt has mentioned, the IP address is 91.136.8.9.
Will I still be able to read and write to the htaccess file from php scripts...

As far as I'm aware you will, yes.
Where I get info about what modules that are installed for PHP, Purl, Curl and will these continue to work.

They should continue to work. If there's any particular modules you want me to check then I can?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Be3G
Grafter

Hi,
I received the ‘Important information about your Plusnet CGI Webspace’ e-mail a month ago, but it just occurred to me earlier that I've not yet received any follow-up e-mails, e.g. the one I'm apparently supposed to get to tell me when my migration will be taking place. Has something gone awry? I don't mind if I'm at the back of the queue (someone has to be) – I just want to make sure I'm in the queue somewhere.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think migration for anyone with a domain overlaid onto their username-based space is still in the queue. This certainly applies in my case and I've yet to receive the second email.
There have been a couple of threads started in this forum by those with (I assume) username-only sites who have been migrated.
David
David
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I haven't got a domain name, and still haven't received the email with the details saying my CGI space has been migrated.  I'm not too worried yet - I'll wait till the first week of February before I contact CSC if it still hasn't been migrated.
Edit to correct typo
Be3G
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I don't currently have a domain pointed at the space, although once upon a time two were. I was just slightly concerned as the original e-mail from PN said we'd hear from them again in the new year – although I concede it didn't specify when! I shall sit tight now and see what happens.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Going by normal Plusnet timetables "the new year" means any time before December 31st! Wink
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Be3G
I received the ‘Important information about your Plusnet CGI Webspace’ e-mail a month ago, but it just occurred to me earlier that I've not yet received any follow-up e-mails, e.g. the one I'm apparently supposed to get to tell me when my migration will be taking place. Has something gone awry? I don't mind if I'm at the back of the queue (someone has to be) – I just want to make sure I'm in the queue somewhere.

You're in the queue, don't worry. Around half of the CGI accounts have been sent a follow-up email and had their accounts migrated. A lot of these are dormant accounts which is probably why you've not heard a great deal of noise about it.
There's a few more batches to be migrated over the coming weeks. We'll send another email before migrating your data.
Quote from: spraxyt
I think migration for anyone with a domain overlaid onto their username-based space is still in the queue. This certainly applies in my case and I've yet to receive the second email.

There's quite a few accounts without a separately registered domain name that are yet to be migrated across.
Quote from: snozboz
I haven't got a domain name, and still haven't received the email with the details saying my CGI space has been migrated.

^^^
Quote from: jelv
Going by normal Plusnet timetables "the new year" means any time before December 31st! Wink

Should all be done and dusted by the end of February I reckon.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
You're in the queue, don't worry.

Thanks for confirming Bob.
Quote from: Bob
Should all be done and dusted by the end of February I reckon.

Maybe it'd be worth updating the FAQ on the Community site to clarify this? One of the reasons I was getting a little nervous was because it said the migration was due for January (as opposed to beginning in January and finishing at a later date).
Anyway I'll sleep easier now! I don't use my CGI space much these days but I'm grateful to Plusnet for finding an up-to-date solution for it rather than abandoning the legacy account feature altogether. Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Be3G
Maybe it'd be worth updating the FAQ on the Community site to clarify this? One of the reasons I was getting a little nervous was because it said the migration was due for January (as opposed to beginning in January and finishing at a later date).

I'll do that now...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Hi Bob,
I have not received a follow up email before being migrated, however on looking at the portal today, it looks like I have already been migrated.  I have not received details on how to access the service.
I've little or no content on cgi / MySQL - this has been a project in waiting for (a long) time - I now have time, but apparently no access!
Thanks,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.