cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Space changes ...

kaspencer
Rising Star

CGI Space changes ...

... I have just had an email from support saying that there are about to be some changes (=improvement?) to CGI space facilities. The email has a link to the Forums, claiming that more information is available. But I'll be blowed if I can find anything at all.
So two questions:
1. Where is the information in question?
2. Will the "improvements" allow any kind of command line access to our CGI space? This has severely limited its use since command line tool access (TELNET etc etc) was banned.
Hoping for something positive ...
Kenneth Spencer
269 REPLIES 269
Gabe
Grafter

Re: CGI Space changes ...

FAQs
Support Pages
Not so far as I know.
Gabe
jamie
Dabbler

Quote from: Gabe
Support Pages

Good grief. Support document in MS Word format?  Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest users especially note what is currently the last item in the FAQs concerning placement of Perl and .cgi scripts. On the new platform these *must* be in the /cgi-bin folder (or a subfolder of this). Perl and .cgi scripts outside that folder will simply be listed.
The FAQ doesn't say so (yet) but PHP scripts need to be outside /cgi-bin.
David
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you've got any questions about this, feel free to ask them, however we might not be able to answer until the end of next week or the start of the following one due to the main person on this being away on holiday (Bob).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As this may generate a number of questions from people getting the email I have made this a temporary sticky until we see how it pans out
pdedwards

Will we get more disk space FOC ?Huh
hominid

Although PlusNet have mentioned January 2014 as being the date for the changes I was wondering if any of the processes have been started already. Maybe it's coincidence but only yesterday I found a serious problem with WordPress on the server. I can no longer upload photographs as an error message comes back: 'missing a temporary folder'.
So today as part of my troubleshooting I was going to start the long process of reacquainting myself with the version number of the server software, the SQL and my WordPress version (which I haven't updated for an age due to the server restrictions). And then this news broke about the migration.
In the small amount of troubleshooting that I've done today the words phpinfo.php and PHP.ini came up as possibilities to solve my problem. So I thought it was very coincidental that only 1 day later we receive the news of the migration and, in addition, the phpinfo.php and PHP.ini mentioned in the Migration FAQs as mentioned as being unsupported on the new platform.
In short the migration is good news and it has come at a good time. Although I am left a little puzzled by the recent malfunctioning of my site. And I'm wondering whether I should try and fix it now (leaving myself open to it breaking when the migrations happens) or whether I should wait and see if it fixes itself with a combination of new server and updating WordPress finally.
All that I'm asking is if anyone else has experienced any gremlins in the past few days.
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
concerning placement of Perl and .cgi scripts. On the new platform these *must* be in the /cgi-bin folder

Or you can add
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

to your .htaccess and then they work as before.
Quote from: Chris
we might not be able to answer until the end of next week or the start of the following one due to the main person on this being away on holiday (Bob).

Good timing.  Lips_are_sealed
Gabe
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: hominid
Although PlusNet have mentioned January 2014 as being the date for the changes I was wondering if any of the processes have been started already. Maybe it's coincidence but only yesterday I found a serious problem with WordPress on the server. I can no longer upload photographs as an error message comes back: 'missing a temporary folder'.

As far as I'm aware nothing Plusnet might have done as preparation should have affected the operation of anyone's current website. As stated in the email in the new year we should receive another one advising when our sites will be migrated.
David
odeno

Does anyone know if all hosting is being moved? And what about email?
I currently have a domain pointed to plusnet and within the website access ccgi....
Thanks,
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Tentatively this sounds as though it may be good news if the statement "provides support for MySQL 5 and content management systems like 'Wordpress' and 'Joomla' " means that at last later system software will be made available. I had cut back a lot on my cgi usage because of being unable to address security concerns on older php-based releases but I'd be glad to get access to 'proper' webspace again.
I don't think anyone should be surprised if there's still no command-line interface. It was a boon when it used to be available, but it's just too much of a security risk IMHO.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Chris3005
Grafter

Temporary folder could not be found. Please check your PHP installation.

Hi,
I've uploaded a phpBB3 board to my cgi space. It works, but on trying to upload a user avatar I get an error:
Temporary folder could not be found. Please check your PHP installation.

I have found suggestions that this is down to the upload_tmp_dir setting in php.ini  On the ACP for my board this is reported as 'no value'
Changing php.ini seems to be within Plusnet's control not mine. I found a post in the Webspace Archive Forum saying that putting
ini_set ("upload_tmp_dir", "tmp");

at the top of config.php and index.php would fix it, but it hasn't. The archive post was about Force9 rather than Plusnet so may not be applicable.
I have also seen it stated that the Plusnet php.ini can be overridden by a local php.ini in the folder the script runs from, but I'm new to php and don't know what it should contain. And have also noted that user php.ini files won't be permitted in the 2014 upgrade.
Thanks for any help
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: odeno
Does anyone know if all hosting is being moved?

So far as I know, just ccgi.
Quote from: Chris3005
I have also seen it stated that the Plusnet php.ini can be overridden by a local php.ini in the folder the script runs from, but I'm new to php and don't know what it should contain. And have also noted that user php.ini files won't be permitted in the 2014 upgrade.

There is a script that should fix that for you, but at this stage, I'd just wait for the migration.
Gabe
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The present migration concerns ccgi webspace only.
The MySQL version is quite recent and Installing the latest WordPress 3.8 is no problem.
On current ccgi upload_tmp_dir is unset which means it uses the system default which is /tmp. My guess is that uploads are currently failing because /tmp needs old files clearing out. I believe a scheduled job does this but I'm not sure how often it runs.
David