Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Server errors. Unable to run script status: 500

stephenthompson

CGI Server errors. Unable to run script status: 500

Hi,
I am trying to set-up my genealogy website on ccgi.stephenthompson.plus.com
When I try to open the file http://ccgi.stephenthompson.plus.com/genealogy/index.php I get the following error :-
**************************************************************************************
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: index.php

**************************************************************************************
If I try go to the file http://ccgi.stephenthompson.plus.com/genealogy/readme.html to try and run the scripts to set up the permissions, tables etc allowed by the genealogy package, I get the following error :-
There was a problem returning data from the server. This may be temporary, so please try again later. Here is some information about the status of this request:
readyState:4
headers: Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:08:31 GMT
Server: Apache
Vary: accept-language,accept-charset,Host,Accept-Encoding
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Encoding: gzip
Content-Length: 651
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Language: en
I've been looking around and beleive I need an .htaccess file set up, but I have absolutly no idea what I would need to put in it to get this to work.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Stephen
1 REPLY 1
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: CGI Server errors. Unable to run script status: 500

If you *don't* have a .htaccess file, that is one problem that won't be the cause of this. Whether you need one, and what its content should be will become apparent later.
Currently it looks like file and directory permissions might not be set correctly. See the cgi platform php upgrade FAQ (particularly Sections 8 and 9) for more information. You might find it convenient to use the script mentioned here to set these.
Note: when running the set-up script it might encourage you to set file and folder permissions that allow group and/or world write access to folders. This is *not* required, and doing so will most likely stop your website from working. Nothing should need world access, some folders (particularly those to which images are uploaded) might need permissions set to 0750 (rather than 0710), but don't go higher than that. Existing images in '0750' folders might need permissions setting to 0640. Uploaded ones should inherit this automatically once the folder permissions have been set to 0750.
David
David