cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI / PHP Help required

ChrissyD
Dabbler

CGI / PHP Help required

Hi,  I have a webpage written in html for people to request information from us.  When the submit button is pressed a message stating that the information being sent will be un-encrypted is displayed.  To get around this problem I understand I need to user a server side script.    I have activated my CGI-bin and created a very small .php test script.  The problem is that i keep getting a message saying "script is not executable.  Issue chmod 755 filename".    Can anybody shed any light on what I`m doing wrong please.  Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
phoenixcomp

Re: CGI / PHP Help required

Sounds like you need tio chmod the file i.e: change the file permissions to 755
ChrissyD
Dabbler

Thanks for replying.  I don`t know how / where to change the file permissions.  I`m absolutely new to this cgi stuff -  I feel like Stevie Wonder doing the rubiks cube,  no idea where I`m at,  or what I`m missing....    Cool
phoenixcomp

It depends what program you are using to access your cgi space, once connected get the file you want to look at on screen (usually in the right hand pane), look for a command to chmod it try right clicking on it and see w2hat your options are, then change it to 755 or tick the relevant boxes.
ChrissyD
Dabbler

Phoenixcomp Thank you very much - You`re a Star !  Got it sorted now, as you said I just needed to change the chmod number in the ftp software.  Sorry I can`t help with your problem at the moment,  hope someone can give you some usefull information. 
Prod_Man
Grafter

If you're new to the CCGI Platform.
A few pointers.
First, use the correct srt of software to ensure easier management/control of everything.
Try out WinSCP.
Reason for this is, it allows SSH File Transfers which I have found more reliable on PlusNet than FTP.
Next, install PuTTY PuTTY.
This is a very useful remote terminal tool.
This will open up doors to allow you to do alot of things which maybe useful. such as:
compressed website backups, cron jobs (scheduled tasks),
allows you to fix PHP Permissions for entire tree of direcotries with PHP files with built in scripts.
Could save you time in the future.
Follow up the guide provided on the PlusNet help,
it's not too shabby but if you learn a little bit about Linux/UNIX
most of it is second nature if you'ce touched simple command line.
Sorry if that was abit of a bore!
just wanted to lead you in the right direction to a good start with the CGI Platform.
Jim,
ChrissyD
Dabbler

Jim,  I will try your suggestions,  thanks very much, and No it isn`t boring (to me anyway).
Any sort of help is very much appreciated !

Chris 
Prod_Man
Grafter

Ahh no problems,
Need any further guidance,
just mail me Here or Here Wink
Glad you're intrested and getting to grips with it Smiley
Have fun!
Jim,