Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Newby

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

CGI Newby

Sorry but I just had to say this....
I've just activated my CGI space, written a very simple php page and it worked first time. For me that's good. Smiley
I then wrote a simple html page that called the php script and that worked first time. For me that's even better. Grin
There's no stopping me now but I'm sure I will be back in here or here in future.
Hope you guys don't mind Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran

Re: CGI Newby

Thanks PJ?
I put the thread in Everything Internet as I was not, at that point asking for help but maybe you have more experience and foresight than I and can see me asking for lots of help in the future.
For that I thank you Smiley
*Goes off to study PHP and MySQL*
BTW Pointers to PHP study material would be welcome.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try the Queens Head, That a Pub Handy Place  Grin
chillypenguin
Grafter

Technical books I find are also very much a personal preference, so a recommendation from one person may not suit another.
One of my preferences is the SAMS Teach Yourself in 24 hours range.
My recommendation is that you join your local library and see what they have, that way you can try the books for free. If they don't have any of interest then they will order them in for other library's for a small charge (about £2.50). ebay is also a good source for second hand technical books, but watch out for the postal charges, which are often more that the book!
Strat
Community Veteran

I will probably need some of this
Quote from: pierre_pierre
try the Queens Head

after a session with this
Quote from: chillypenguin
SAMS Teach Yourself in 24 hours range.

Thanks guys Smiley
liam1412
Grafter

When I was learning I used a cracking website www.phpfreaks.com
On there there are a lot of "walk through" tutorials that give chunks of code and then explain exactly what those chunks of code do.
I built a forum and a blog in my first couple of days from there.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: liam1412
When I was learning I used a cracking website www.phpfreaks.com

Thanks Liam
liam1412
Grafter

No problem. If you get stuck on anything im on here almost all day (im a plus net staff member not coz I haven't got anything better to do) so just PM me
Prod_Man
Grafter

I learnt a large percentage of my PHP knowledge,
from the Online Documentation on PHP's Homepage PHP.
I think most Programming Books are largely bBabble and only partially useful.
I would have looked at (if anything) "In Easy Steps - PHP" as it's cheap and has all the basics
that I would show people when I teach them things. I think the on;y thing not mentioned is
Syntax and how important it is to have a good Text Editor.
Thats only because I've used similar languages before and knew about Syntax.
Learning SQL.. I downloaded Apache, PHP & MySQL about 2 years ago now, and played with it until it worked (Linux and Windows),
primarily using PHPMyAdmin instead of using the Command Line Interface for SQL commanding.
Over time I had to learn CLI to administrate some Servers and has come in handy,
for creating Shell Scripts to backup various website that I run.
As for learning SQL as a Database Language, I picked that up from W3Schools.
I have used other PHP Example pages once or twice.
I use Notepad 2 and recently Eclispe.
Eclispe has all the Documentation to hand, and helps with commands, syntax as you type etc.
Another Good tool, which I was introduced to, I use for Uploading and Administering my CCGI Space for my Website.
WinSCP, very useful for storing my multiple logins and batch uploading / downloading,
can even save the headache of changing permissions of lots of files, all thorugh an SSH Connection.
Install PuTTY and away you go, you have easy of control and movement around your CCGI Space.
Jim,
Strat
Community Veteran

Thank you Prod_Man for a most comprehensive answer. There's a lot there to get my teeth into.