Did you mean: 

CGI FTP & MySQL server address changes

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

CGI FTP & MySQL server address changes

Afternoon all,
In case anybody misses it, you will soon be able to use the traditional FTP and MySQL server addresses to access the new CGI hosting platform, e.g. instead of using ccgi.username.plus.com as the FTP address, you'll be able to use ccgi.plus.net again. Same applies for database access. You'll be able to use rumpus.plus.net/humbug.plus.net instead of the slightly less memory friendly sql5c51a.megasqlservers.eu.
[quote author="Service Status"]CGI & MySQL DNS Maintenance - Thursday 24th April
When is this work happening?
Today, 24th April.
What does it affect?
Resolution of the following host names and their Force9 and FreeOnline counterparts:
cgi.plus.net
ccgi.plus.net
cshell.plus.net
humbug.plus.net
rumpus.plus.net
mysql.plus.net
phpmyadmin.plus.net
**Please note that his only affects customers using our legacy CGI web hosting service**
How long will it take?
As this is a DNS change it can take up to 48 hours for the changes to fully propagate.

What does the work involve?

Now that we've migrated customers' CGI content to a new hosting environment, we're going to point the above host names to the new platform.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Customers who have followed the instructions in the migration notices we have sent won't notice anything.
Any customers who still have hosted domains pointed at the old platform, are still connecting to the FTP servers using the above host names or are relying on connections to the Plusnet database servers may encounter one or more of the following:
- FTP authentication failures
- Dated content when browsing to your website
- Database connection errors when browsing to your website
To resolve these problems, you will need to update your settings as per the CGI migration FAQ's here - http://community.plus.net/hosting-faqs/
Is there anything else I need to know?
Following this change customers will be able to use the aforementioned host names for FTP and database access to the new CGI platform.
Kind regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: CGI FTP & MySQL server address changes

Bob,
So does that mean everyone has been migrated ?
I got an email Dec 2013 to warn about the migration but have received nothing since...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yes, you've already been migrated.
>nslookup ccgi.w*******.plus.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ccgi.w*******.plus.com
Address:  91.136.8.9 <-- Hostopia IP address

I'll get your welcome email sent to you again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Bob
In case anybody misses it, you will soon be able to use the traditional FTP and MySQL server addresses to access the new CGI hosting platform, e.g. instead of using ccgi.username.plus.com as the FTP address, you'll be able to use ccgi.plus.net again. Same applies for database access. You'll be able to use rumpus.plus.net/humbug.plus.net instead of the slightly less memory friendly sql5c51a.megasqlservers.eu.

Excellent news, though hadn't realised this would be happening.
Non-techie question, however - if everything is (largely) reverting to the addresses of the previous set-up, what factors of the previous scripts (on F9 CCGI) would now work in the new environment, ie
(a) would username and password (on rumpus) now be as they were previously, before the change
(b) would previous php-script calls on the database, ie citing previous username and password, also now work?
Sorry to ask what to everyone else is probably blindingly obvious : /  but would appreciate some clarification here.  I recognise that we have all been furnished with a "new set" of scripts incorporating sql5c51a.megasqlservers.eu etc., but if access to rumpus, humbug etc. is all effectively being reinstated (albeit in the new geographical location), it would be "less work" just to upload "the old set" of scripts rather than having to modify all the "new set".
If however there are certain factors which need to "remain changed" it would be (very) helpful if someone could clarify what those are.  I did look at the FAQ but I don't think it covered this unless I missed something somewhere.

Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I'll get your welcome email sent to you again.

Thanks Bob, got it this time!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Penny
Non-techie question, however - if everything is (largely) reverting to the addresses of the previous set-up, what factors of the previous scripts (on F9 CCGI) would now work in the new environment, ie
(a) would username and password (on rumpus) now be as they were previously, before the change
(b) would previous php-script calls on the database, ie citing previous username and password, also now work?

Unfortunately the answers to those questions are "none of them" and  "no". What's being changed is the DNS entries so that any reference to rumpus.force9.net goes to the same IP address as sql5c51a.megasqlservers.eu does. Once there the login username, password and database names will have to be those for the Hostopia MySQL server.
This will be what the Service Status refers to in the last of the three bullet points
[quote author="Service Status"]
Any customers who still have hosted domains pointed at the old platform, are still connecting to the FTP servers using the above host names or are relying on connections to the Plusnet database servers may encounter one or more of the following:
- FTP authentication failures
- Dated content when browsing to your website
- Database connection errors when browsing to your website
During the migration process Hostopia should have amended scripts so they work with the new MySQL databases.
David
David
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: spraxyt
Unfortunately the answers to those questions are "none of them" and  "no".

Okay.
rumpus.force9.net goes to the same IP address as sql5c51a.megasqlservers.eu does.
Once there the login username, password and database names will have to be those for the Hostopia MySQL server.

It was that last bit I wasn't sure about; thanks for clarifying : )
During the migration process Hostopia should have amended scripts so they work with the new MySQL databases.

Yes, indeed - have downloaded a copy of all the amended php files etc. from the Dublin servers so the hard drive file content here now matches what is on the new set-up.
I'd guess the previous F9/PN ccgi platform/s are about to be decommissioned but it's somehow reassuring that "rumpus" and "humbug" will live on  : D
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.