cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CCGI] write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

BJepson
Grafter

[CCGI] write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

I am using sessions in PHP on the CCGI server and quite often, but randomly, get the following error:
"Warning: Unknown(): write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0
Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0"
I have searched the forum but the only thing similar was back in 2006.  Are other people seeing this or have I missed something important in setting up the  sessions?
Thanks. BJ
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: [CCGI] write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

That is a system error - the /tmp filesystem has run out of space. You need to raise a ticket and report it.
BJepson
Grafter

Okay, thanks.
It's not doing it so often now, but the session keeps disappearing and reappearing.  What I mean is on a sequence of page refreshes the session data will there, then be lost on the next refresh, then come back again on the next refresh etc.
Is the CCGI server multiple machines load-balancing so that request may go to any machine, and possibly the /tmp area is not shared between these machines?
Thanks. BJ
dick:quote
Gabe
Grafter

The tmp still seems to be choked. To avoid this problem (and concerns re using /tmp for sessions on shared servers), you could set your own session.save_path, either in a custom php.ini or in your scripts:
ini_set('session.save_path','/share/storage/0N/us/username/folder');

Gabe
BJepson
Grafter

Thanks Gabe,
A much more reliable solution.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

/tmp is shared between the ccgi machines, otherwise people using it would have some seriously weird results due to the loadbalancing of the platform, e.g. you don't hit the same server every time. It's on the same netapp backend as your CCGI files, albeit on a different volume.