Did you mean: 

CCGI - trying to set up under the "new" system

FIXED
Astronut
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

CCGI - trying to set up under the "new" system

Hi all,

Prompted by the email about legacy domain names becoming free, I've been tempted into getting my old hobby website back in operation. Something died during the move to the current environment back in 2014, and I abandoned it due to the pressures of family and commuting. I'd now like to resurrect it!

So I've been reading around and have managed to get into the "new" ccgi hosting panel, including the file manager and phpmyadmin, along with my old cms itself, but I'm having difficulty getting ftp access via FileZilla. Unfortunately, this may be related to a slightly odd setup on my domain names.

I'm hoping someone can prod me in the right direction with this Smiley

If I understand the current set-up, my webspace is nominally at ccgi.intermundia.plus.com. Going direct to this address in a browser results in a server not found (see odd domain set up). I also have a domain - intermundia.co.uk, and this works just fine, showing the current error for my site.

If I understand the ftp system correctly, I should be able to ftp to ccgi.intermundia.plus.com, but this results in a server not found (see above). If I ftp to intermundia.co.uk, everything seems to go ok, but then it times out after 20 seconds without connecting. I've tried both ccgi.intermundia.plus.com and intermundia.co.uk as usernames.

Can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks, Jon

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: CCGI - trying to set up under the "new" system

I think the DNS record for ccgi.intermundia.plus.com is missing although there is one for the www version which points to Homepages (standard webspace). Plusnet will have to create the ccgi record (as a CNAME pointing to ccgi.plus.net.) for you to progress.

www on your personal domain www.intermundia.co.uk points to your ccgi space and browsing to that gives a MODx parsing error. This includes your ccgi webspace name in its path - so it looks like the ccgi server configuration could be present, just absence of a DNS record causing problems.

Once the DNS problem is resolved, using FTP requires a Master FTP password to be set. This is done from the Hosting control panel by opening FTP Manager and entering details in the Master FTP panel at the bottom.

DNS for your bare domain name intermundia.co.uk points to your Plusnet connection IP so you would have to be running a web and/or ftp server at home for that to work.

David
Astronut
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks David.

I seem to have access to my dns settings although I'm a little hazy as to their exact meaning or settings.

Yeah, www.intermundia.plus.com is synonymous with www.astromundia.co.uk, a static html site in the webspace. That's pretty much correct.

I do have an A record for intermundia.co.uk pointing to an IP address, which seems to be working (the MODx error is coming from an out of date installation of my CMS in the ccgi space - this is the fault I mentioned!). I also have a CNAME for www pointing at ccgi.plus.net.

I don't have anything pointing at ccgi.intermundia.plus.com and I'm unclear as to how these interact.

I think I will talk to support - as I have no idea what these should look like!

Jon

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hiya Jon.

If you can PM me your username I'll be happy to take a look into this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet