Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCGI server availability

ianscales
Grafter

CCGI server availability

Just curious !!!!
Why is the CCGI server not available if you are not connected directly to PN? I accept that PN want it to be available only to paying customers but surely they must know when someone tries to log on that they are a paying customer.
...........just a little frustrating because I spend quite a bit of time on a mobile (Vodafone) connection, like now, and I am unable to make alterations to my CCGI until I return home.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: CCGI server availability

If someone got old of your login details they would be able to login to your ccgi account and do nasty things and PN would not be able to trace them.
Just because you can login does not mean you were the owner of the account.
For such reasons PN have locked down the ccgi server to only allow PN IP connections to reduce the likelihood of such a situation occurring. Also as it will only be a PN IP they can track who's account was used and allow them to block it until the problem is sorted out.
The ccgi server by it nature is an ideal candidate for hackers to try to break into and use for maliciously activity so this kind of activity can also be tracked and blocked more easily if only PN IPs were allowed access.
ianscales
Grafter

Fair comment, thanks Peter
John_Essex
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
The ccgi server by it nature is an ideal candidate for hackers to try to break into and use for maliciously activity so this kind of activity can also be tracked and blocked more easily if only PN IPs were allowed access.

How true that is  Sad I have suffered the intrusion of a hacker in the past on one of my ccgi based forums where they completely destroyed it.
I don't think my case was a fault of Plusnets security but rather on earlier version of phpBB that I was running.
Anyway Im all for good security by Plusnet if it helps prevent nasties getting in.
nadger
Rising Star

As you'll have seen elsewhere link to my phpBB site was diverted to Turkish site by well known hacker Sad