cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCGI server and URLs with Capital Letters

BJepson
Grafter

CCGI server and URLs with Capital Letters

Hi, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this peculiar behaviour.
I have a site hosted on the CCGI server (www.scsc.org.uk) which works fine.  Since SCSC is an initialism I often put it use links with capitals such as "www.SCSC.org.uk" so that it stands out.  This also works fine on IE, Firefox, Chrome & Safari and I note that the returned page is always converted back to lower case but I'm not sure whether this is done my the client on requesting the page or by the server on returning the page.
So far, so good.
When browsing from my Android phone the capital letters seem to get preserved, which should be okay because domain names are not case sensitive, but I get back a page that just says "It works!".  I can't find where this text might be coming from it isn't in any page on the site.  Any idea what's going on or how to get the CCGI server to respond correctly?
I tried a similar test on the HTTP server and that responds correctly to any capitalisation of the domain name.
9 REPLIES 9
Gabe
Grafter

Re: CCGI server and URLs with Capital Letters

Yes, you're right. The domain part of the url should be case insensitive, and is, right up to the point where it hits the rewritemap on ccgi. www.SCSC.org.uk is not in the domain map, so you see the default page for the shared address. The rewritemap should be using the tolower function and isn't. Perhaps SKS could fix that?  Smiley
Gabe
BJepson
Grafter

Thanks Gabe,
But who or what is SKS?
Gabe
Grafter

SKS
You know who you are  Wink
Gabe
BJepson
Grafter

Ah  I see, a TLA, not some techno magic!
I can be dim as well.
BJepson
Grafter

OK, so after three iterations round the question raising and response loop a change has been made and its no longer case sensitive.  Unfortunately the whole site is now broken.
I can't get through on the phone and it takes two days to get a response to a comment raised on a question.
How do I get PN to repair their fix?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've raised a problem to our operations team to get this sorted. The internal reference if you need to get an update on it is 65976.
BJepson
Grafter

Thanks Ben,
Normal service has been restored, and it seems that someone has actually fixed the underlying problem on the server virtual host mapping not supporting uppercase domain names.
Success.
Though it would be nice if there were a way of shouting for help other than through the forum.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As we only offer limited support for CCGI, to be honest this forum is the best place to raise issues with it.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Hi,
I've just been informed by one of our Operations team that this has now been fixed. I've tested it myself and I'm happy with the solution.