cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCGI - how long

tonycollinet
Grafter

CCGI - how long

I've just read some of the PAYH info thread, and am horrified to find talk of the CCGI platform being shut down - with dates of April this year mentioned.
1 - what are the plans?
2 - I hope you will give existing users plenty of written (by personal email not forum announcement/newsletter) notice of the shut down time to give us plenty of time to get our sites migrated to alternative servers (PAYH Is much too expensive)
3 - I assume I can expect a reduction in my plusnet charges in compensation for removal of service.
10 REPLIES 10
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: CCGI - how long

Quote from: tonycollinet
3 - I assume I can expect a reduction in my plusnet charges in compensation for removal of service.

No, It is a Free service
Free services from PlusNet:

• CGI                                                 (Is going to be removed)

• MySQL

• Home Pages

• Microsoft FrontPage Extensions     (Is going to be removed)

James
Grafter

Hiya,
We have absolutely no set guideline on when we will be looking at doing this.  One thing I can gaurantee is that it won't be happening in April!  We'll let you know as soon as we have further news though.
As Gary's mentioned, should we remove CCGI, there would not be a reduction in subscription cost.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
Quote from: tonycollinet

No, It is a Free service
Free services from PlusNet:

• MySQL

• Home Pages

No, it is not a free service. It is part of the total package I have received in exchange for my subscription for the last 4 years or so. (if you dispute this - ask yourself if I would get access to the CGI service *without* paying a subscription.)
Having said that - I am well aware that plusnent are entitled to change their offering  - as they have multiple times over that period. Just as their customers are entitled to look elsewhere for  broadband if they feel the service no longer represents value for money**

** Having said that - removal of CCGI would not be enough to do that for me - it is cheap enough to get elsewhere - just a shame that + cannot avoid service reduction.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

You Do Not Pay For The Added Services From PlusNet, You Get Them Free
So you get Free:

• MySQL

• Home Pages

tonycollinet
Grafter

Excellent - so if they are free, I can get them from plusnet if I go to a different supplier of course.  Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Ah, so if Tesco's are offering BOGOFs I could just take the free one of them and not have to pay while buying everything else in Sainsbury's - excellent!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Look wen you have a Service From PlusNet such as broadband You get a number of Added Services some of them are Free
So You Do Not Pay For These Added Services From PlusNet, You Get These Ones Free
So you get Free:

• CGI                                                (Is going to be removed)

• MySQL

• Home Pages

• Microsoft FrontPage Extensions    (Is going to be removed)

tonycollinet
Grafter

We are not going to agree, because your definition of free is different to mine - but it really doesn't matter.
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
CGI                                                 (Is going to be removed)

I don't think we know that for sure (yet). Both James's reply above and Kev's earlier statement http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75425.msg604260.html#msg604260 indicate that it's still a case of if not when. I hope Plusnet find a commercially viable model that will allow ccgi, or something very similar, to be retained and developed. I suspect that the current service is very useful to an enthusiastic minority, and, as such, constitutes a significant part of the service we receive, but Plusnet will probably also have to try to appeal to the Facebook generation or mind-set, so will presumably be looking at additional guided solutions like CMSs, blog wizards, etc.
Is it free? Not IMHO, it isn't. A "free" service would be one where either there is no additional cost to the provider or the cost to the provider is supported by some alternative revenue model, like advertising. In this case, the cost is paid by customers even though there is no hypothecated/dedicated charge. The service is essentially "bundled". I gather that Plusnet distinguish between "core" services and "added value" services, but removing an "added value" service would still remove value.
Gabe
donne
Grafter

Surely the discussion about whether it's free or not misses the point.  The fact is that the provision of the service as part of the package may be one of the reasons why subscribers like me have chosen Plusnet originally, or chosen to remain with Plusnet since, in my case, it was Freeonline.  Remove it and there is little to distinguish the Plusnet offering from the many other basic 'no frills' packages out there.  Maybe BT would prefer us all to dispense with the Plusnet brand and migrate to the BT offering?