cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CCGI] Webspace (non cgi) server has reserved folder names?

oliverb
Grafter

[CCGI] Webspace (non cgi) server has reserved folder names?

Wonder if anyone else has seen this issue. I wanted to create a subsection of my site for things written in perl, so quite naturally I created a folder called "perl".
Problem: if the folder exists then any attempt to browse files in it returns "Forbidden".
Oddly enough the folder "cgi-bin" probably behaves the same way, it did back when I was moving my employer's website onto Plusnet.
Any other names I should steer clear of?
8 REPLIES 8
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: Webspace (non cgi) server has reserved folder names?

Out of interest I have just created a folder in my cgi-bin and in the ccgi root both called perl no trouble at all.
Have you set the permissions of the folder and it's files correctly? I'm no expert at this but it seems okay here.
oliverb
Grafter

I'm talking about the regular (non cgi) webserver. It appears to have some vestigial cgi folder name associations, such that if a folder is created with that name it cannot be browsed.
For example go to your htdocs filder and make a "perl" folder and put some stuff in it. Then try to browse to it.
The ccgi server seems to work as expected, mostly.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

When you mentioned cgi-bin I thought that was where you were working from.
You are absolutely right, You get forbidden error 403 if folder is called perl I have no idea what other names you have to avoid, maybe you should raise a ticket with PN or some of the forum bright sparks may have an answer but I suspect they'll tell you it's one of PN's security measures.
prichardson
Grafter

In terms of placing a directory call cgi-bin and sub-directories there-of on Homepages, then indeed, these are reserved and mapped to a central location.
A folder called "perl" on the other hand, I am not aware being reserved in such as way. That added, testing this would suggest it is "nail", "head" & "hit" in honesty.
oliverb
Grafter

Thanks for looking. Any idea if there are other reserved names?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

A quick scan of the apache config shows that these are reserved:

/icons/
/images/
/cgi-bin/
/perl/

These are just for your htdocs, e.g. htdocs/icons won't work, but htdocs/example/icons will be fine.

oliverb
Grafter

Thanks. There's probably a good reason to keep cgi-bin private even without functional scripting, but "images" could be a real gotcha, since its a natural place to put the graphic content.
Actually it looks like its been fixed at some point since /perl/ returns "not found" instead of "forbidden". Thanks.
Keeping cgi-bin blocked is probably a good thing as it means if someone accidentally uploads a site with cgi content (like I did back in 2002) then the code will be hidden and they'll quickly get a 403 error, instead of the code (which may contain private data such as passwords) being visible to all.
xpcomputers
Grafter

I've never had any trouble with using an /images/ directory in the htdocs folder of the main website servers (i've been using that folder for years).... so clearly that blocking feature is thankfully not working correctly!