cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CCGI] Question about CGI/PHP setup

oldgustav
Grafter

[CCGI] Question about CGI/PHP setup

I use Mac OS and a web design program called Rapidweaver. The program has the ability to make an email response form using PHP. I have CGI enabled in my Plusnet website settings and I can 'see' the CGI folder when I use my FTP program (Transmit) to upload the website files. I have put all the website files in htdocs/domainname and they are working fine. I have put the contact form folder and the files contained within into the CGI folder but when I click on the contact form link all it does is download the file named contact.php. I have spoken to PlusNet on the phone but (a) I am not clear about what they are saying to resolve the problem and (b) they are not keen to support this issue on the phone. You'll have guessed by now that I am not at all savvy about PHP/CGI. I gave up last year and instead am using a free service called Wufoo for the contact forms but I'd prefer to get this working on the website if possible. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
Sorry, but I posted this question in the Web and Internet forum as well - but I think this is where it should be.
8 REPLIES 8
SoulBriski
Grafter

Re: Question about CGI/PHP setup

Hi
I guess that your website is hosted on the normal PlusNet server since you mentioned the htdocs folder but if you want to run PHP scripts your site needs to be on the CGI server.
However... The new PAYH platform is the way you want to go because apart from anything else, it provides you with an email autoresponder which is appropriate to your specific question (see my post on this subject)
Hope that helps but have a look at any posts that refer to the new PAYH platform
oldgustav
Grafter

Hi and thanks for this reply.
I'm not sure I understand PAYH or indeed where to find it. Perhaps I should stick with what I know for the time being? What I think you are saying is that I leave the htdocs/domainname empty and just upload all the website folders and files to the CGI folder. Is this correct?
SoulBriski
Grafter

The CGI server is a separate server not folder and it allows your website to be more dynamic and use php pages as well as html pages but the new PAYH (Pay As You Host) is an alternative platform altogether and offers far more than the original servers
On the PlusNet CGI platform you would login to the PlusNet portal and activate your CGI webspace and upload your webpages and files to that location. check out http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/cgi_php/cgi_guide.shtml for further help but bear in mind that PAYH is the direction that PlusNet are taking
oldgustav
Grafter

Thanks very much for your reply and help - but I'm still not clear on what I should do. There is a folder named cgi-bin on the CGI folder. Do I put all my website folders and files in this, or outside this? Should I remove all the website folders and files from their present location at htdocs/domainname? Do I need to put all the website folders and files into a folder first with the name of the domain name (I ask because I have three domain names/websites and if I put them all on the CGI folder they would get messed up and confused. I know I am probably being thick and am very grateful for your assistance.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Firstly, when you refer to the CGI folder, (There is a folder named cgi-bin on the CGI folder), is this inside or outside the htdocs folder?
When you ftp your files to your webspace, do you ftp to "ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs"? If so, then your site sits on the standard PlusNet server and that wont give you the features you want.
I don't know what happens if you put your php files in the CGI folder because I've never done it. I started out by building my site in static HTML but i needed it to be more dynamic so i completely re-wrote it in PHP and for that reason it now sits on a different server altogether. One that is referred to as the CGI server.
Have a read at the 'Sticky' post at the top of this forum for a better explanation of the new platform because this is what i think you need to do.
xpcomputers
Grafter

oldgustav,
Soulbriski is right. The ccgi servers will be decommissioned in the near-ish future (maybe as a soon as 6 months time!). The replacement platform is available now as a trial. If you are trying to get something working, you'd be better learning it on the new system, rather than the old one... as you'll have to learn the new one in 6 months time anyway.
Read the sticky thread at the top of this forum, then apply for the trial.
For the time being I suggest you keep your domain and website as it is on the HTTP server where it is working. By requesting a trial of the new webspace, you will be given a username.plushost.co.uk webspace (which has php5 and more!) which you can play with to get it all working (you can have a copy of all your files on there too - and view them by visiting http://username.plushost.co.uk in your browser).
Once you get the various php files working correctly as you want them there, you can request that PlusNet move your domain name over to point to the new webspace platform.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Well said XPC
I think you have explained the concept wll there  Smiley
oldgustav
Grafter

Thanks XPC. I think I'm a bit out of my depth, but will get stuck into the new system. Thank you both.