Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: CCGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE

I don't see why moving your website to a proper hosted facility means you need to move your broadband!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
carben

Because I can buy broadband only much more cheaply than I'm paying Force9.
I had yet another "we dont know and nobody in the support team knows" answer to my question about when PHP5 will be available.
Who the hell does know then?
Tony
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: carben
I had yet another "we dont know and nobody in the support team knows" answer to my question about when PHP5 will be available.
Who the hell does know then?

I think the follwing quote from Bob Pullen goes a long way to answer your question and explain why there is a delay.
Quote from: Bob
Try not to forget that we're currently in the middle of a network migration to a brand new data centre as well. This is far from a five minute job and is taking up a lot of the Network bod's time and resource (part reason for the amount of time taken for the upgraded CGI platform to emerge).

David
David
carben

Thanks David for you reply.
Regrettably its not an answer to my question from Force9, sorry plusnet, its a reason, or an excuse if you will.
All I want is a simple answer to a simple question so that I can get on and run my business.
If someone said June 2010 at least I could make a decision to move. I dont want to do that, its way too much hassle.
If I was told 15 November I can live with that.
I cant do with being fobbed off by those to whom I pay my hard earned money - its not on and its arrogance of the highest order.
Tony
xpcomputers
Grafter

An official answer is unlikely to appear over the  weekend, but hopefully you'll get a response (if not a date!) by end of Monday.
I guess the unofficial response is it will arrive when it is ready... and not before! I don't mean to imply you are being rude (you have a right to ask!), but I expect the problem is Plusnet can't pluck a date at this point.
The priority of the new platform HAS to be stability & security. It will not be released until that is achieved. Issusing a date would be to release by schedule, rather than by waiting for it to be ready.A tight schedule could mean corners get cut.... and I'm sure you wouldn't want that for your business website hosting!
It might be a case of if we solve X easily, we could release this week, but if it ends up being complex or we find it depends on Y, then it could take several months still.
Pusnet will share your agenda of wanting to release it as soon as possible. I can appreciate the not knowing is difficult, especially where it impinges upon business decisions of your own.
Hopefully Plusnet will come along on Monday and give some sort of timescale though...
Mike
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: carben
Because I can buy broadband only much more cheaply than I'm paying Force9.

I presume you've considered moving to one of the new business products which now start at £10 per month.
carben

Thanks Mike and Jelv.
I hope plusnet do come up with a response.......
Jelv, you presume wrong - I haven't considered it, haven't even looked.
If I move I will move everything, on principle, and before anyone comments, I agree I may well cut off my nose to spite my face.
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The last thing I'd want to do is quote some arbitrary figure that we then fail to deliver to. Having said that I'm under the impression that we should have something up and running during the next month or so. As soon as I've any more definitive information then I'll be back here to share it...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

carben

Thanks Bob
That helps
Tony
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The following has just been posted to Service Status.
Service: CGI Services
Posted: Wed, Nov 11 2009 at 15:40:35
Subject: CGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE
This is an update about the state of play with our CGI hosting platform.
We're still in the process of developing a replacement CGI platform and apologise
that this is taking longer than we anticipated.
We still need to make some refinements to the platform and perform some additional
testing before we can allow customers access to the servers.
SSH and telnet access on the existing platform remain disabled.
We would like to thank customers for their continued patience and apologise for any
problems that this situation may be causing you.
Kind Regards,
Chris Parr
Customer Support
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:CCGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE

Thanks for popping that in here Gary, I forgot when I made the post earlier.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gabe
Grafter

Posting service status to forum, to save Bob the bother:
Service: CGI Services
Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2009 at 21:26:41
Subject: CGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE
This is an update to the situation with our CGI hosting platform.
Unfortunately a number of recent problems have detracted from the work we need to complete before we're able to allow customers access to the new CGI platform for testing purposes.
We are still committed to opening up access prior to Christmas, and will provide another update before then.
SSH and telnet access remain disabled for the time being whilst our Network Engineers assess the feasibility and security implications of providing this functionality on the replacement platform.
We would like to thank customers for their continued patience and apologise for any problems that this situation may be causing you.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
jelv
Seasoned Hero

To save Bob the bother again:
CGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE
CGI Services

Posted on: Wednesday 9 December 2009, 15:18
This is an update to the situation with our CGI hosting platform.
Whilst recent problems and other priorities have detracted from our work on a replacement CGI platform, we hope to be able to allow customers access to a newly built platform over the next couple of weeks.
The new platform is running on PHP5, however SSH and Telnet access will still be disabled whilst our Network Engineers assess the feasibility and security implications of reinstating this functionality.
The replacement platform is still in testing stages and it'stherefore expected that there will be some modules missing and some configuration that still needs to be refined.
We will use feedback from customers and the community to ascertain what additional work is required before we're in a position to fully replace the current implementation.
We would like to thank customers for their continued patience and apologise for any problems that this situation may be causing you.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks Jelv, was on my way to post that in here as Bob's not in today.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Bob
Will PHP5 be running in safe mode on the new CGI box?

I don't know the answer to that yet I'm afraid.

Any answer to this yet?
Without SSH or Telnet how will people set up cron jobs?