Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Migration

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Bulk Migration

Hi

Can PlusNet initiate a  Bulk Migration process?

11 REPLIES 11
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Bulk Migration

Hi @dws1900,

I don't quite understand the question, I'm afraid. Please can you provide some more information?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@EmilyD 

I have been speaking to an engineer  regarding the incorrect provisioning of my line, and others in my street.

It was suggested that a Bulk Migration of the lines from the incorrect dslam to the correct one would be away to go,

and it may be something an ISP would initiate.

It was also suggested that two different dslams onto the same bearer cable (ie 100 pairs cable) is not a good idea due the interference/cross-talk issues that would arise.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you for providing those further details @dws1900. This isn't something that we'd be able to initiate from here, I'm afraid.

I've tested your line but the test isn't picking up any problems from here at the moment and indicates that your line is currently syncing at 22.3mbps, which is within the estimates. Please let us know if the speed that you're seeing on your side is significantly lower than this or if you're experiencing any other connection problems at the moment.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@EmilyD  I don't think you quite understand what @dws1900 is getting at. There are a number of lines in the vicinity that would get much higher speeds if they were moved to a nearer cabinet which Openreach have so far failed to action. I agree that it is something that PlusNet cannot request because several different ISPs may be involved, but attempting to get any sense out of openreach is very difficult. Your test of the Op's current line speed is totally irrelevant.☹️

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's not clear from the context if the term "bulk migration" was supposed to refer to some specific process or if it was merely a descriptive term for moving all the lines from one cabinet to another in one go.

Openreach have something they call a "live to live migration" for when Openreach decide to move a line from one cabinet to another. I don't see why an ISP would have to request it. Openreach can do pretty much what they like to their network when they like.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@ejs 

I have been speaking to an engineer  regarding the incorrect provisioning of my line, and others in my street.

It was suggested that a Bulk Migration of the lines from the incorrect dslam to the correct one would be away to go,

and it may be something an ISP would initiate.

I would suggest the term Bulk Migration in this context is a process to carry out a physical action to move numerous lines from one dslam to another dslam, within the duration of the job.

I am only relating what the engineer told me, and a possible course of action.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, and thinking about it logically, I see no reason for an ISP to have any involvement in how Openreach wire up their network.

The trouble is I'm pretty sure bulk migrations can refer to something completely different, typically moving people from one product to another, which may involve no physical wiring changes at all.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@ejs 

The term 'Bulk Migration' may well refer to many things, but in this context it related to the moving of a number of circuits onto the correct dslam. Contacting OR as a consumer does not work.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@dvorak 

Why move this thread?, its to do with fibre broadband.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Because you're raising a question outside of an issue with a single users fibre connection - that board is for: "Problem with your Fibre connection? Let's see if we can help. "

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'