Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser address

Laroc
Grafter

Browser address

I have two PN free web sites.
If I type the full address into Firefox including the www, the site is displayed (www.domain.plus.com)
If on the other hand I miss out the www, it returns server not found. (domain.plus.com)
Strangely enough both of these sites although listed in Google Webmaster and Google Analyticals are not being crawled or listed.
ie, returns not found.
I have verified and uploaded Sitemaps for both domains which Google can see.
None of my other sites with paid for hosting has this problem
Any ideas ?
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Browser address

Are these URLs your www.username.plus.com ones? If so, do an nslookup on both URLs. You will probably see that the www one will point to your plusnet hosting and the non www one will point to your own broadband IP address. This is intentional as it allows you to host a web service on your own systems which you access without specifying www in the URL.
Paid for domains default to your plusnet webspace (with and without www point to the same IP address which is not your broadband one).
Laroc
Grafter

Re: Browser address

Peter.
my two web sites are the same domain format with PN
ie www.domain.plus.com
Using NSLOOKUP they both point to PN web hosting as I would expect.
Google for some bizarre reason with not index them
Google  HELP text suggests you use the browser address bar to see if both address formats work:-
ie with or without the www
www.domain.plus.com
domain.plus.com
The second one returns Firefox can't find the server at domain.plus.com
All other web sites i type into Firefox such as "bbc.co.uk" find the web site OK - it would appear only the PN ones fail.

alan
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Browser address

The reason it's not finding username.plus.com (as opposed to www.username...) is because you don't have port 80 open on your router - when you enter that address in your browser you're effectively looking for a web page on your own home connection (as Jim says above). As there's nothing there, there's nothing for google to index.