Broadband Checker Issue

FIXED
Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Broadband Checker Issue

Have received the following when using http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

Which gateway

Your IP address seems not to be from a Plusnet brand, hence we cannot detect your gateway.

If this is not correct posting the first three octets of your IP address (31.125.48.*) as a reply to the Gateway Checker Issues topic in the Community forums will help us to diagnose the problem.

The link goes to a closed thread which is why I am creating a new one. This IP address is also seen as being located in the North East of England. I am on the South Coast so a bit strange too...

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Broadband Checker Issue

Hi @Peterworks As far as I'm aware the gateway checker is a legacy thing and I don't think it works all the time anymore due to the way that connections are routed across our network.

Where about are you seeing your IP shown as in the North East? I suspect that'd just be down to the geolocation database that the website you're using is checking. It's not uncommon for these databases to be out of date.

None of this should be affecting the actual performance of your connection though, are you having any issues with that?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Fix

@Peterworks 

Thanks for using ingenuity to make your post. For those using dynamic IPs on what used to be called the "new network" but is now the "normal network" the "gateway" concept has been replaced by a Point of Presence (PoP) in the South Bank or Colindale exchange. Whilst some PoPs identify themselves many don't and in the latter case the message you reported can result.

Your IP will be Plusnet owned but the important matter is that the message does not mean there is anything wrong with your connection.

As far as location goes, as @Gandalf mentioned this can reflect the geolocation database entry for the IP but I think Google influences it too based on what the user allows it to know. For example apparently I moved to Manchester after looking at several web pages for a store located there. In my opinion it is not something to bother about.

David
Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you all for your responses - can confirm I am not having any problems with my connection.

Perhaps the link should be removed or the info updated ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, it’s good to see you’re not having any issues with your connection. 

I think a lot of the webpages from the Usertools site have been taken offline and I’m not actually sure if any of the remaining content is used anymore or helpful nowadays. 

I’m happy to pass this on to the relevant person as feedback to review, although personally I like it as it’s a bit of a blast from the past. Tongue

Having said that, reminiscing aside I appreciate the confusion it may cause so it may be worth us reviewing whether we should take it down.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I am on a fixed IP address so assume, unless thing have changed, that I am still on the old gateways. I note that the gateway checker no longer works on my connection either.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'