cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth

mypyrex
Grafter

Bandwidth

I have received the following response from Plusnet to a question about bandwidth limit on my website:
"...I have looked through the account and can see that the bandwidth for the websites here is limited to a certain level.  You have reached this level, unfortunately this cannot be increased, ..."
Unfortunately I am not very conversant with such technicalities. Can anyone tell me how I find out what my bandwidth limit for my site is and how I can ensure that it is not exceeded.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Bandwidth

http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/webspace/webspace_faq.shtml
However if you go to here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=mywebsite&?membermenu=websitesettings and click on My Webspace it will give you the size limit and the size used. You should assume that the daily allowance is the same as the size limit
Regarding transfer allowance I don't think that there is any easy method of actively monitoring it but if you initiate webstats and advanced webstats you get the information http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/webspace/webstats_faq.shtml
MoreQThanA

Hi mypyrex & oldjim
I'm in similar position to mypyrex, developing a website (in my case just for fun)
Regarding upload/download limits
Am I right in thinking that this includes all other people accessing the site?
If so, having a popular website would cause problems very quickly
oldjim, Is this the case?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It isn't necessarily related to the number of visits per se although obviously that is a factor - it is how big your pages are.
For example a largely text page would have a total size in the kB range but stick a couple of big photos on it and suddenly it is heading towards the several MB range.
You can see the difference.
So basically it depends what you put on your site - a load of pictures and a couple of download files (pdf documents for example) - which could easily kill your usage allowance.
Worst case let us assume that you made a single web page with multiple pictures each of 4MB size (say 10 pictures) then you would be hit with 40MB per visitor - not good
MoreQThanA

Thanks Jim, That is as I thought.
The potential is there to very quickly use your daily allowance.
One idea is if including graphics, you should just make them the size you need them to be on the website and not use HTML to set the size for you.
I had this with someone else's website and it was taking ages to load a very small picture.  turns out the picture was 5Mb, but was being displayed in 100X100.
So suggested srinking picture to this and now it loads much more quickly.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To be honest if your bandwidth starts rocketing I would suggest finding a professional hosting company
For example I use 1and1 - this isn't a suggestion just an example - and currently that costs £2.49 per month (first 6 months free) with 5GB webspace and unlimited usage allowance but you have to add £2.99 per year for a domain.
The other advantage of having your own domain is that you can use it for emails and then you keep them if you change ISP
MoreQThanA

That's not bad.
It'll be a while yet for me I think. Site is only being developed. weekend and evenings.
250Mb will do for now 🙂