cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up with phpMyBackupPro

IanQ
Grafter

Backing up with phpMyBackupPro

phpMyBackupPro has been mentioned a couple of times as a way of automating backups. It was also mentioned that it was quick and easy to install. However I have just spent a couple of hours trying to install it with no luck. I get this error message :-
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: index.php
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500

Has anyone successfully installed this and can they advise on the settings needed?
Any help gratefully received.
If there is now a better method of backing up my website I am open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Ian
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Backing up with phpMyBackupPro

Where are you trying to install it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Also
Quote from: IanQ
If there is now a better method of backing up my website I am open to suggestions.

phpMyBackupPro doesn't back up websites - it backs up mySQL databases
IanQ
Grafter

Sorry I should have given a bit more information, I was getting a bit fed up by then.
I was also hoping someone had installed it on their Plusnet cgi server and could remember the settings they had to change to get it to work.
I am trying to install it on my free Plusnet cgi server account. I have followed the instructions in the included Install.txt file. I initially tried the latest version v2.1 but after reading that some people had problems and had to use the earlier version v1.8 I tried that as well, with exactly the same error message.
I suspect it might be due to an incorrect path in the definitions.php file for the location of the global_conf.php file.
Step 1 of the install instructions advises you to change the location of the global_conf.php file. I tried moving it to another directory as advised, but I also tried leaving it in it's original directory, just until I had it all working. Both options gave the same error message.
Step 2 shows how to enter the new path to the global_conf.php file.  Using a FTP program only shows the path relative to my home cgi directory.
However when I was installing another website on a different Plusnet cgi account a year or so a go, I remember that I used Putty to upload the files and then used the PWD command to get the full path. This gave /files/home2/username as the full path to my home cgi directory. The FTP program I tried then did not see the /files/home2/username part of the path. Unless the cgi server has changed since then I suspect that this may be the problem. There again I could be completely wrong! I have tried using Putty to show the path but now SSH access has been disabled it doesn't work. Or I am doing something wrong!
Again any advice gratefully received.
From reading comments about phpMyBackupPro I thought that it was able to backup files on the normal webserver as well as mySQL databases. I was hoping to use it to perform a complete website backup. Have I got this wrong?
The whole point of using phpMyBackupPro was it was meant to be a quick and easy way to perform scheduled full website backps, it hasn't worked out that way!
I initially tried mysql workbench 5.2.29 which I got working almost immediately, but it only backs up the mySQL database and does not have a schedule option built in.
Thanks,
Ian
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Upload a file to ccgi containing
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Make it executable and run it. In the Environment section there is a SCRIPT_FILENAME entry which shows you the path.
IanQ
Grafter

Hello Jelv
Thanks for the replies.
I created a file path.php containing the commands you gave and uploaded it to my cgi server but had problems making it executable. I use Cute FTP and I cannot find a way of getting it to make files executable. I finally downloaded SmartFTP and used that. I then used a browser to execute the file but get a "Restricted access" access message. I tried moving the file from the root directory to a sub directory, not the cgi.bin, but still get the same message. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ian
IanQ
Grafter

Hello Jelv
Right finally sorted it.  Cheesy Cheesy
While searching for answers I came across a posting, "Chron" from 2004, which seemed interesting as it was about backing up the database using Chron. It had some php code to do it so I created a file containing the code, uploaded it, set the permissions and ran it. It didn't work either!
But the error message it gave showed the full path "/share/storage/02/XX/username/". The XX is linked to the user name so I have changed it for security.
Using this information and SmartFTP to set the permissions I finally managed to get the phpMyBackupPro configuration page to load but it showed a path error. After a bit of playing about it turns out the full path was not needed anyway! The problem had been due to permissions all the time.
I have now successfully backed up the database with phpMyBackupPro. Now all I have to do is work out if it can also backup the webserver pages.
Thanks for your help.
Ian
IanQ
Grafter

Hello Jelv
Now it is working and I have had chance to have a play with it. It appears that you were correct in that phpMyBackupPro will only backup the MySQL database. The information I found, which led me to try using it, suggesting that it could back up web server files as well as databases seems to be wrong.
What I was hoping to do was find a way of automatically running scheduled backups of the complete website, the web server files and the database. Having one program to do it all seemed the best way but it looks like I'll have to use this for the database and find something else for the web server files.
The Chron code I found in the 2004 posting gave an error message when I quickly tried it. Perhaps changes to the ccgi server since it was written have stopped it working.
If you have any suggestions on a way to do this they would be appreciated?
Thanks,
Ian